Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Serf

Default Bio-Bricks wood brick fuel

Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with any of the bio-bricks out there-- pressed sawdust, no binders, efficient storage....

Eco Heating wood bricks, firewoood alternative, 100% recycled

U.S. Recycled Wood Products, Producer of Alternative Firewood, Wood Brick Fuel

I'm thinking of trying some to augment and maintain fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lovin my Oven
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ben Ciliberto, Doylestown Pa

Oven Pics Link-
Old 02-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Bio-Bricks wood brick fuel

Three quarters of their vendors are in Northern Michigan: Let us know how that works, and how cost effective these are.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Journeyman

Oh my god. - "eco heating"

now there is "environmentally friendly" Firewood

How is that actually possible? what could be *more* natural than wood?

that's it - I'm inventing "Environmentally Friendly" manure

OH WAIT! several marketing companies have done that already!

I'm all up for recycling, but to call it eco anything is a joke. If it wasn't made into firewood, or smoker pellets etc, it would be rotted down for compost!

Last edited by Mitchamus; 02-10-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Serf

yeah -- marketing! manure by another name still stinks! and grows flowers.

I'm not hung up on the "eco" part-- just the idea of a compact, clean, well priced fuel.

Lovin my Oven

Ben Ciliberto, Doylestown Pa

Oven Pics Link-
Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Around here, eco friendly wood means its harvested from a controlled forest, where they plant new trees as well as chopping old ones down... so's the forest will still be there for the next generation.

And looking at the way the world's going, that makes good sense to me.

The eco friendly manure would be from animals that can romp around in the fields all day and eat fresh grass, rather than being shut up in a tinsy little stall and stuffed full of antibiotics. Another good idea in my book.

Of course, just calling something "eco" doesn't mean that is what is actually being done.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Journeyman

well the line is blurring as to what is a good/ethical practice and what is good for the environment (a loose term nowdays in itself)

as far as manure goes, it's good for the environment, promoting new growth etc, but the animals that excrete it are very bad for the environment (methane has been labeled a bad greenhouse gas)... again the manner in which the animals are kept is more an ethical question rather than what is good/bad for the environment.
We have ads here in Australia encouraging people to become vegetarians to save the environment.

I guess due to our climate - firewood down here isn't such a large commodity as it is in other parts of the world and I suppose that sustainable forestry management would be of a larger concern elsewhere when buying firewood.... however... there's no mention in their advertising as to how the timber was collected, and as far as we know it could have been imported from a Brazilian rain forest felled by a chain between a couple of D9 dozers.

what IS funny about is that they are claiming that recycling sawdust is eco-friendly.
I would argue that it's better to compost the sawdust into a tube mixture for new tree seedlings than burn it... but hey... Water vapor is the biggest contributor to the greenhouse effect... but you can't sell a Prius with a fact like that.

sorry for the rant... I hope I haven't started soemthing

cheers,
Mitch.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nah, that's fine. Its a ranty sort of subject, and you never quite know what to believe, or whether you've considered all the factors. It think the scariest people in all these eco discussions are the ones who are utterly convinced that they're 100% right - whatever their opinion my be.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Serf

Did you ever try the Eco Bricks?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Master Builder

I don't think they're practical in the wfo due to the high cost. BBQ folks use them for smoke in their smokers as addition to burning wood. Cherry seems to be a very popular flavor.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO