Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Forum Guidelines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gulf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Peasant

Default Tuscan style high vault dimensions

Hi everyone,

If I am building a 30 inch interior diameter Tuscan high vault oven, what would my dimensions be for :

1. interior oven height
2. door opening height
3. door opening width

Is it ok for the oven to be a 30 inch circle or does it have to be sort of elongated in the back?

Does anyone know the ratio to figure out all of these dimensions? I know that the door has to be 0.63 % of the interior height, but how do you figure out all of the rest? Thanks in advance for any of your help.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Tuscan style high vault dimensions

How do you plan to use the oven?

A full hemisphere would be 15". Generally a hemisphere is as high as ovens go. As you already noted the door height is 63% of the dome height. The width is based on opinion, but the smaller the door the more efficient the oven will be. I would consider half the oven width to be the absolute maximum. So in your case that would be 15".

My first oven was 30" with a 13" dome and a 13"x8" door. For me it was far to small. My second(current, hopefully last) oven is 42" with a 12.75" dome height and a 18" x 8" door. It's a world of difference. Just a little insight from someone who has been there. I would highly recommend going up to a 36" oven if there is any way possible.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Peasant

Red face Re: Tuscan style high vault dimensions

Thanks so much for the info. I will be using the oven for pizza, but I will probably use it more for cooking. There are only 3 of us in the home and my entertaining days are over, so that is why I am only going with a 30 inch. I appreciate the dimensions, have a wonderful day and thanks again!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmc3142 View Post
.....There are only 3 of us in the home and my entertaining days are over.....
We just married our last one off, the intertaining days are about to begin, again .
brickie in oz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
We just married our last one off, the intertaining days are about to begin, again .
Amen to that! My son has his own home and we still entertain here for his birthday - it's a yearly ritual for him and his friends, and their friends, and their pets, and their ...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Peasant

Gulf, you just married your last one off and my one and only is going through a divorce and just came back home. You got me thinking now, who knows what the future brings. My son is young and just might remarry again, so I just might need a bigger stove for grandchildren! Les, great pictures, your bricks are mortared so neatly! Did you use a tool at all to hold them in place? If you didn't, how did you hold each one up and how long did you have to hold the brick up so it wouldn't fall on you?