Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Forum Guidelines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gulf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Serf

Default Fire Brick Oven Location

Hi,
Are there any guidelines for deciding on where to install an outdoor fire brick oven? I'd just like to hear some confirmation that the spot that I choose will be ok if it's near some outdoor trees. Worst case scenario is that it's actually below a pine tree but with brances only starting to overhang or encroach the area at about 30 feet or more. Otherwise I'd have to move it further out from under the tree where it might look awkward. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
ndowidar
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Fire Brick Oven Location

Gudday
Trees means tree roots which over time could effect your slab....I think everyone has seem footpaths heaved up by tree roots.
Might be an idea to keep it off the fence line the local rules here have any structure 1.2 mtr of the boundary otherwise its possible to be ordered to pull it down.
What could possibly effect you placement is local wind direction and its effect on smoke path. Forno ovens well built with dry wood usually don't smoke apart from at start up. But smoke on the neighbors washing line is a no no.
One other thing is distance from the kitchen could be a factor to keep in mind both for supplies and washing up.
Good luck with your oven hope something here might help
Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-12-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: To short and blunt
Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Trees means tree roots which over time could effect your slab....I think everyone has seem footpaths heaved up by tree roots.
Might be an idea to keep it off the fence line the local rules here have any structure 1.2 mtr of the boundary otherwise its possible to be ordered to pull it down.
They are in the USA Dave, they will have different rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
But smoke on the neighbors washing line is a no no.
Believe it or not but in most places in the USA its illegal to have a washing line, apparently it make the country look 3rd world or something if you have washing hanging outside.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday brickie
I did say "here the local rules are"......
Interesting about the washing though, I'd always thought dryers and drying rooms were for the climate
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
They are in the USA Dave, they will have different rules.

Believe it or not but in most places in the USA its illegal to have a washing line, apparently it make the country look 3rd world or something if you have washing hanging outside.
Actually, Illegal, which would mean breaking the law is incorrect. Horse sht like no clothes lines are what are called "neighborhood covenants". These "covenants" only apply to those who build or buy into special neighborhoods (some are "gated communities") These covenants are designed to keep the property values $$$ up. Not a bad idea . In cases like hanging clothes out to dry, or building a "dog house" that is not constructed with the same materials as the home, would only get you a nasty-gram from the president of the neighborhood! Not a visit visit by Barney Fife.

Most of the people in the US do not live in gated communities. A lot of us rednecks, just do what ever the hell that we want to .
ATK406 likes this.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 04-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Gulf
Thanks for the insight....recon it will happen here in Ozz . My wife is a big watcher of those tv renovating shows, seems the first to disappear is the Hills Hoist, the iconic Aussie cloths line. One of our neighbors tried it, and the wife had him buy a secound hand one and replace it

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post

Most of the people in the US do not live in gated communities. A lot of us rednecks, just do what ever the hell that we want to .
Sorry my blue, I did see a program on tv about it once and some residents were campaigning to have a washing line rather than using the power sucking dryer.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Serf

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the tips! So I guess having the fire brick oven near some trees isn't that dangerous? The heat escaping from the chimney should disipate quickly enough for branches that are like 30-40 feet above? Honestly, they're not really overhanging either, I just wanted to make sure it was ok before I went through with the project.

Thanks,
ndowidar

Tags
hazard guidelines, oven location, safety

« kneading | James »