Apple Tart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Tart

Here's a desert that's an easy standby for me, and tonight I tried it in the 550f degree oven a couple of hours after pizza. It worked great, cooked in about 10 minutes (instead of about 40 in the 375 degree gas oven) and the pastry had a great layered flaky texture:

Here's the recipe:

Plain pastry

1/2 stick butter
    1 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Cut butter into flour with a single table knife, until lumps are pea sized, add a splash of cold water, just enough to hold dough together, form into hamburger patty shaped disk, refrigerate 40 minutes.

Cinnamon sugar

Stir 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon into 1/2 cup of sugar. You won't need all of this, but it never hurts to have some around.

Peel, core and slice one large apple. I mince the little pieces that don't make nice slices, but whatever.

Roll out pastry, place on flat pan, fold, pinch, and flute edge. Sprinkle about half your cinnamon sugar on the shell, and shake to get it even. Arrange apple slices, and sprinkle some more sugar on top. Bake at 550f in the brick oven for 10 minutes. Your tart will be done when the juice is bubbling and the edge brown. Cool 10 minutes and eat.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Re: Apple Tart

BEAUTIFUL and YUMMY i'm sure. I'll try this over the weekend!!
    Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sounds great and looks wonderful! I like the fan arrangement.

If you have a butter pat cutter (like a cheese cutter only it cuts all the pats at once) you can precut the butter into cubes easily - it makes it easier to incorporate the butter into the flour. Pastry dough is best handled least.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Im not an apple pie fan... But I gotta say that looks pretty good.. I think thats gonna be on the dessert list for thanksgiving dinner..

Thanks David
        Cheers
        Mark

Comment

If you are going to make apple tarts (or pies for that matter). This device is a must!
          Amazon.com: Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer: Kitchen & Dining

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Those things actually work? I've always been skeptical of them, myself. How well do they peel?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Those things actually work? I've always been skeptical of them, myself.
              They should work, they've been making them pretty continuously since the mid-nineteenth century:

But remember: this recipe calls for one apple. You can probably struggle through with the old floating peeler.

Comment

ITEM 96153-2VGA

$5.99
                you gotta love Harbor Freight, Yes they sell one of these too, I have one and it works pretty well....
                Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

OHH I think that plastic one looks fantastic! I have a metal one with a clamp type base but ever since I've lived in this house it's been a PIMA because the clamp is too small to work with my 2" thick countertops. Def. need to check out that HF one.
                  But for the record, they works FABULOUSLY...really the only way to go if you make a lot of apple pies in season like I do. I especially love that the apple slices end up a perfectly uniform thickness. The better to achieve dmun's lovely pattern with.

Comment

Cool. Having a drawer full of gadgets of questionable efficacy - some almost as old as that peeler in Dmun's post - makes one a bit on the skeptical side. I will probably buy one now - it's getting toward dessert season anyway.

Thanks!

[/CENTER]

Comment

It turns out that for Thanksgiving, nothing will do but the full bore two-crust apple pie. The problem with this is that there's no way to know the moisture content of the apples, and too often you end up with hot gooey sugared apple juice bursting out of the crust onto the oven floor, filling the house with acrid odor, and gluing the bottom crust to the pie pan.

As as experiment yesterday, after I prepped the apple chunks, i laid them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on warm for a couple of hours to remove some of the moisture. They were slightly tanned, and the surface was dry to the touch. I then made the pie in the conventional manner.

The results were pretty good. There was no runoff, and the apple chunks maintained an apple shape, if they were mushier than I would like them. The flavor was quite intense.
                      It took longer than usual to brown the pie, and the next time I'll up the temperature considerably, since the apples are not just dehydrated, but partially cooked.

It says something about having a WFO that you can devote two hours in your kitchen oven to apple dehydration on Thanksgiving morning.

Comment

You can also sugar the apples an hour or so ahead. The sugar is hygroscopic and will pull the excess moisture out (Granny knew what she was doing - even if she couldn't pronounce 'hygroscopic')*.

*With apologies to Alton Brown - who said TV wasn't educational?

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                        X