Old 08-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Apprentice

Default Veal

Has anyone ever made a Ponsette? Its a Italian stuffed veal breast. I remember my Grandmother making this a long time ago. Can;t help thinking that it would be good on a WFO...Living in the rural south, I don't think that I could even find one at a market, or veal in general...Pork is king here...
Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Veal

I have not done a Ponsette but I have done veal breast several times. Ask the meat guy in your biggest grocery. Mine sometimes has one or two in back. Other times they have to order it. But they can get it. So... give it a try! Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassourdough View Post
I have not done a Ponsette but I have done veal breast several times. Ask the meat guy in your biggest grocery. Mine sometimes has one or two in back. Other times they have to order it. But they can get it. So... give it a try! Good Luck!
Ok I can get breast of veal....Now how do you cook it???????????????

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Apprentice

Ponsette is another of those peasant meals like pasta fagioli or escarole. Make something good for little money.....Years ago, the breast was mostly bones and fat,it was cheap, it is all about the stuffing. The stuffing, as I remember, was a bread stuffing. Italian bread,garlic, oinions, celery, couple eggs, thyme, maybe some red pepper flakes and some stock to wet it with. I would assume you would cook it slow and low to extract all the flavor from the bones and fat,300 ish.covered, then un covered...Gramma has been gone for 20 years and she was 90 when she went...As with most old timers , it was always a pinch of this and a hand full of that...."mangiare il figlio e venunto bello" Aegis, seeing that you are from CT. I would guess that there are a lot of Italians...Go to a Italian store and ask....I live in "Elvis" country...there is no ethnenticiety..sp? No Little Italy no China town No Greek town... I am from Chicago... Love it here but miss the food...Which is what drove me to build a WFO in the first place...

Last edited by thickstrings; 09-05-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: more