Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Peasant

Default Tuscan Grill

James,

What can you tell us about the Tuscan grill to which you referred in another post?

Would you post some pictures and tell us more about using them?

Michael
aka PizzaMan
Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Grilling inside a brick oven

Michael,

Here is a photo of the grill. It's cast iron, 14"x14"x4". Large enough to hold two butterflied chickens, or steaks, chops, salmon filets, etc. I think grilling inside a brick oven is a lot of fun. The cast iron grill gets really hot, so you get good sear marks, and because there is moist heat in the oven above and below the grill, you get a moist and juicy result. For medium heat grilling, you can set the grill on a clear floor, and for higher heat you can pull coals under the grill. Juices hit the cooking floor and vaporize.

I've done marinades and dry rubs. Fish is excellent.

I will take more photos of cooking food and post some recipes. The grill is $40, and it is on the Forno Bravo Store.

http://fornobravo.com/store/product....cat=250&page=1
Attached Thumbnails
Tuscan Grill-tuscan-grill-270.jpeg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Apprentice

Default Tuscan Grill Pics

The Tuscan Grill from the Forno Bravo store is a huge home run. I posted pics of it in action at www.texaspizzaoven.com

Jay
Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tuscan Grill

Just recieved my Tuscan Grill today. Will be initiating it this weekend. I will post my opinions afterwords. My wife is really getting into wanting to try more things in the oven. Her fear was that it would only be useful for pizza and we would soon tire of it. Since then its been pizza one night then roasting or smoking the next day from the same fire. So far Smoked ribs and corn twice, whole roasted chicked(beer can method), Potatoes and peppers,marinated pork shoulder, more corn. This week will be pizza night, then ribeye steak (on the new grill) and vidalia onions and marinated portobello mushrooms - also on the grill. I may do a Grouper grilling day,maybe on the 4th
Old 06-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Laborer

James, so if I'm going to grill a couple of big ribeyes I don't need to put a pan underneath to catch all that yummy grease? Just let it steam away? That makes it real easy then, no clean up.

thanks for all your help
Old 07-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Richie,
Sorry for the slow response. It's pretty cool. The drippings hit the hot floor (or your coals), and are vaporized into a flavorful steam. You don't need any type of pans. The floor of your oven is hot enough to bake away any remaining food -- it's like the self-clean cycle every time you use it.
James

Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Serf

James -- Do you use this instead of a roasting rack for roast lamb etc? If not what is your roasting rack made of? What metal is likely to stand up best to the heat of a WFO?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Virgil,

So far, I have used the Tuscan Grill for everything -- except for the vertical chicken roaster. Does anyone have another rack they like?

Also, we have had occasional questions on a rotisserie, but I have never rigged one up.

Does anyone have instructions or photos for that?
James

Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Virgil,

So far, I have used the Tuscan Grill for everything -- except for the vertical chicken roaster. Does anyone have another rack they like?

Also, we have had occasional questions on a rotisserie, but I have never rigged one up.

Does anyone have instructions or photos for that?
James

Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Master Builder

I just received a Tuscan Grill for Christmas. Waiting for the snow to melt before using. Where do you position it in the oven? Do you put it in before the fire is started?

How about moving things around on it. Is it difficult to reach in and flip a steak for instance? I have long tools to work with pizza, but no long "steak flipper".