Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Apprentice

Default Roast coffee beans???

Has anyone ever tried roasting coffee beans in your WFO? I just bought some unroasted green beans and want to give it a shot. I plan to rig up a roaster basket consisting of two hemishperical stainless steel screen strainers, attached to a piece of copper pipe for a handle. Eventually I want to rig up a special insulated door with a rotisseri motor to slowly rotate and the basket and tumble the beans...

Too much fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Roast coffee beans???-coffee-roaster.jpg   Roast coffee beans???-coffee.jpg  

Last edited by jeeppiper; 12-16-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Roast coffee beans???

I home roast my coffee, but I use a roasting appliance. I am sure you could roast in the WFO - but it seems a lot of effort. Beans are more easily roasted on the stovetop - using a cast iron skillet or one of those crank-handled popcorn makers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Apprentice

deeja: Thanks for your input....I just thought it would be fun.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've been thinking of trying it, too! Here are a couple of threads about it...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/...eans-6259.html (Coffee Beans)
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/...eans-6885.html (roasting green coffee beans)

Updated!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Apprentice

Thanks KenH...some good info there.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Master Builder

Hi jp,
Oven roasting works fairly well, it great for a rustic, cowboy coffee, in fact it better than 90% of the pre-roasted coffee you get in supermarkets, because its fresh. If you're really interested in home roasting you should invest in a Behmor 1600 roaster, to get the best flavor from your beans.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi jp,
Oven roasting works fairly well, it great for a rustic, cowboy coffee, in fact it better than 90% of the pre-roasted coffee you get in supermarkets, because its fresh. If you're really interested in home roasting you should invest in a Behmor 1600 roaster, to get the best flavor from your beans.
Supermarket beans are old, and typically over-roasted. The hard thing about roasting is managing the roast level, which is what might be difficult in the oven.

The Behmor looks like a great unit. I have my eye on that one, currently use an iRoast2.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Supermarket beans are old, and typically over-roasted. The hard thing about roasting is managing the roast level, which is what might be difficult in the oven.

The Behmor looks like a great unit. I have my eye on that one, currently use an iRoast2.
Its a great unit, I got one when they first came out(about 7 years ago), and would be lost without it. I roast a lb every two weeks for myself and a few which I give to friends.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Laborer

I've been roasting in my oven since I built it a couple of years ago. I roasted for years inside, using various electrical roasters but a) most of them only roasted, at most, half a pound (several much less), and the instructions strongly warned against roasting more than one batch at a time, b) none of them lasted more than a year or so, and c) the amount of smoke produced was a challenge until I installed a commercial grade extractor. Don't underestimate that amount of smoke generated by roasting coffee, its pretty impressive.

I never had a Behmor, which is supposed to roast a full pound, as I recall, but, at least when I was roasting indoors and keeping up with things, it was said to have some reliability and fire issues. If I hadn't moved to the WFO, it would have been the next unit I tried.

I roast in the oven in a 10" cast iron skillet. Control is not a problem; on the contrary, I have complete control over the profile. I use a large kitchen spoon to constantly stir the beans, and move the skillet in or out to speed up or slow down the roast. I can hear first and second crack far better than with any of the electrical devices I had (all of which had fairly noisy electric motors which made it hard, sometimes impossible, to hear the cracks) and I can adjust the skillet to stretch out the profile as I wish.

The downside is that it is time consuming. With the electric roaster you pretty much turned it on and left it alone. With the WFO you have to be there, stirring. But, since I (like quite a few of us on this forum, I suspect), am rarely happier than when standing in front of my oven admiring the fire, that's ok. It takes something like 15 -20 minutes per batch, including post roast cooling between two large colanders, and I thoroughly enjoy it. The results are better than I achieved with the in house roasters, although those generally worked pretty well also. I only drink espresso, and like a fairly dark roast, which some of the electric roasters could not achieve.

I am looking for a larger skillet, but, since I generally blend varietals after roasting them separately, 1 pound batches are working very well.

Karl
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Master Builder

Hi Karl,

I 've been home roasting coffee about 10 year now, and like you, I've used everything from popcorn popper, to WFO. Finding my WFO much superior to the others. The Behmor is in a league of it own for home roasting. I really question how much larger you can go in a cast iron pan, they are heavy and they do get hot. I also drink only espresso. Do you ever drink SO espresso? If so, most of these are more flavorful at a less robust roast, and the time it take pull the hot pan out of the oven and transfer the beans to a colander, you'll have a different profile. What blend are you coming up with that are keeper? I apologize to everyone else, just talking roaster to roaster with Karl.