Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Apprentice

Default recipe request: fish

hi all! A friend dropped in tonight with a massive red snapper that he just caught - it must be nearly 3 feet long! I said I'd do it in the wood oven for him. Any ideas on recipes? I could do it on a spit... Or on a hickory plank? Or bake it in foil?

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: recipe request: fish

Baked in salt!!!

Lots of recipes on the web for this. You basically season up the fish, stuff it with some herbs, then lay it on a bed of kosher salt mixed with egg whites (on a cookie sheet). You then cover it with the same mixture of salt mixed with egg whites. The salt crust hardens up and seals in the juice of the fish. Then when it is done, you crack the salt crust off...It is an excellent way to cook whole snapper...

Drake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree. The local wfo restaurant does it this way when they have it as a special. Never had it, but it looks great!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Laborer

Hi Tim,

Half your luck - a beautiful fresh snapper!
I've baked snapper in the Weber many times but have never tried it in the Wood oven, so I will be keen to see how it comes out and get some details of how you did it.
My two cents worth - when baking in the Weber the best tasting snapper seemed to be an Asian flavoured one. I used chopped garlic, chopped Ginger, Lemongrass and Coriander to fill the cavity. I scored both sides of the outside with three cuts and filled the cuts with slices of lime - poured olive oil liberally over the outside, along with a splash of soy sauce. Wrapped it all in Al-Foil and gave it a good bake.

my wood oven build:
Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Peasant

Interested in learning more about cooking whole snapper as I am planning to cook a 60cm red snapper for Christmas dinner and dont want to stuff up.
Planning to do the Asian style and wrap in alfoil. Any tips on:
1. Ideal temp?
2. Door off with small fire? Door on with coals raked out? Or a bit of a compromise with door in opening but not sealed with coals and maybe small fire?
3. How long do I need to cook for?

Any advise appreciated. Prefer the KISS principle .

Steve
Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Peasant

Interested in learning more about cooking whole snapper as I am planning to cook a 60cm red snapper for Christmas dinner and dont want to stuff up.
Planning to do the Asian style and wrap in alfoil. Any tips on:
1. Ideal temp?
2. Door off with small fire? Door on with coals raked out? Or a bit of a compromise with door in opening but not sealed with coals and maybe small fire?
3. How long do I need to cook for?

Any advice appreciated. Prefer to keep things simple as per username.

Steve