Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dino_Pizza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Pork Belly & Prime Rib Roast over 2 days

Made this 3 rib Prime Rib roast on Christmas day, pretty standard roasting procedure, but basting it regularly over the 3 hours really gave it some great flavor. (I had rubbed the roast with butter, truffle oil, fresh pressed garlic, salt & pepper so the bottom picked up some nice juices to baste with. 130 deg. in the middle was nice and rare enough.

But the real treat came the next day: had a chunk of pork belly that I scored on the fat side, placed it on shallow tray on a rack, brought oven back up to 320 (it was 230 from the night before) threw on some fresh cut cherry and apricot branch chunks for smoking and sealed the door up for 7 hours. OK...it was way too long, but I had left to see relatives. Next time, I'll do it for 4 hours, same temp, or 6 hours and no more than 250 deg. It was & is really delicious. I'm going to keep working on perfecting roasted-lightly smoked pork belly.
Attached Thumbnails
Pork Belly & Prime Rib Roast over 2 days-photo-4-.jpg   Pork Belly & Prime Rib Roast over 2 days-photo-5-.jpg   Pork Belly & Prime Rib Roast over 2 days-photo-3-.jpg  
Gulf likes this.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pork Belly & Prime Rib Roast over 2 days

Absolutely AWESOME Dino!!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Laborer

Looks good!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Rossco and Brad,
I smoked again last week. This time I made a fire the day before ( small one) to saturate the oven with a lower temp of 350 deg. F. Next day, I built a very small fire just to smoke the wood and this time I put in pork belly and pork ribs AND fresh sausages of a couple of types. I also put in a boned trout fish halfway thru. The temp was about 260 and going down. It took 4 hours, (the trout just 2).

Great results, the surprise was the smoking the trout. It's relatively inexpensive at Costco and it goes really well with white wine and cheese as an appetizer.

I only have pics of the raw meat and cooked pork belly.
Attached Thumbnails
Pork Belly & Prime Rib Roast over 2 days-photo.jpg   Pork Belly & Prime Rib Roast over 2 days-photo-1-.jpg   Pork Belly & Prime Rib Roast over 2 days-photo-2-.jpg  

My Oven Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Laborer

Nice Dino! Did you ever close the door to hold the smoke?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, I've got my old door that's chipped along the edges, so I soak a dish towel in water, fold it in half the long side and drape it over the top of the door (the arched part) and then wedge the door against the wet towel and inner opening with a brick or log.

I only see bare wisps of smoke escaping, so it works fine. I think this was IT for that door. No more smoking or baking until I get off my ass and make a real door.

My Oven Thread