Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Roasting and Grilling

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Peasant

Default Lobster? Has anyone roasted one/many?

We're needing to cook lobster for 12 next weekend (we live in NE, so while lobster aren't cheap, they aren't outrageously expensive either). I'm not sure I can boil that many in pots on my inside stove. So we got to wondering about roasting lobsters -- or some other process -- using the WFO. Has anyone tried this? Has anyone been successful?

I found a couple of recipes online. But if someone has actual experience (is that like "actual miles"!?!), that would be great, because it would be a shame to not treat the lobsters properly.

This first one is from Jasper White. Since it talks about getting a regular oven as hot as possible, that sounds like a WFO might be perfect, since getting the 500 degree heat would be a snap.
Summer Shack’s Famous Pan Roasted Lobster | Steamy Kitchen Recipes

This second one specifically suggests a WFO -- again, it seems like 500 degrees is the optimal temperature.
Woodfire Roasted Lobster With Herb And Garlic Butter Recipe

This third one comes from a competitor's company, but since I'm just posting a link to the recipe, I assume that's ok.
Los Angeles Ovenworks: Wood Fired Recipes: Wood-Roasted Lobster

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Last edited by ksm; 08-04-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: To correct spelling
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Lobster? Has anyone roasted one/many?

If it was I...I would pick up a few lobsters and do a test bake for final process. I would hate to have 12 people standing by drooling for the thought of lobster and have you serve them rubber bands in a lobster shell.

The bake times feel long to me in those recipes especially for 1-1/2 pound lobsters (hens) if I remember correctly. Nothing worse then a tough dried out lobster.

Let us know what you work out.

P.S. I went to high school in Newport have not been back since. Perhaps one day

Faith
Old 08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Peasant

Faith,

Good thinking. How sad to be forced to do a lobster test run! Ah, the sacrifices we make to the WFO gods -- or is it goddesses?!

In any case, an excellent point.

Funny that you went to HS in Newport. We moved up here 14 years ago from Virginia! Though both of us grew up in the Midwest, we lived in Virginia for 30 years: Williamsburg, Newport News & Poquoson. Where are you?

Kathy
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Correct me if Im wrong, but dont you drop crustaceans into boiling water live to cook them, how are you going to convince them to stay in a hot oven?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Peasant

ROFLOL!!Just like the scene from Annie Hall (a Woody Allen movie from way back). I have this metal image of lobsters fleeing from the mouth of a blazing WFO! Thanks for the good morning laugh.

Actually, all the recipes start by saying something such as, "slice the lobsters in half lengthwise; this will kill them instantly" -- well, yeah!

"Lobster assassin!" is one of the comments to one of the recipes. Another suggests freezing the lobsters for a few minutes or putting them in an ice water bath first to numb them. Since, up here at least, they are cold water creatures, I don't know how well this would work -- but here's a video that suggests that's the way to go:
Video: How to Kill a Lobster - FineCooking.com

Enough to make one a vegetarian.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Master Builder

LOL AL,

Yes boiling lobsters is only one way to cook them. Another way is to put them in the freezer to give them sleepy time then you cut them length wise while still alive then you can grill them or pan cook them in ways such as butter poaching.

Lobster ...not so easy to get in my area but I think I will get some and give it a go myself.

So when is your party Kathy not this weekend but next? I'm over near Blacksburg must say I do miss the ocean.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can link to my lobster snuff film. I would keep a fire going and pan roast them...good luck.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Peasant

Re: The lobster snuff film. Don't know if I can do that. Good thing that lobsters, like fish, don't scream! But if we are going to eat creatures, I guess we should be honest about how they get to our plates. Do you find it's better with the lobster shell-side up? Another video suggested shell-side down, but other sources agree with you.

Faith: Blacksburg: what a beautiful area. My college roommate went to grad school at Va Tech. I always enjoyed the visits in the mountains there. And, yes, the event is next weekend (Aug 13), so we have this weekend to practice.

All this gives new meaning to the term "knife skills"!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Master Builder

I prefer the fine cooking way of doing in lobsters. I work in restaurants for years when I lived in Newport. I have heard them scream at times once in the water. Or pressure was releasing on the shell somewhere. Still creepy!!

I will try to do one myself this weekend if I can find the lobster...good reason to fire the oven anyway.

Have fun and let me know how it works out.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi All
Just put them in the freezer for 20 mins and they'll die in thier sleep..... big advantage in this is any crustation cooked after dispatching this way... they don't lose there legs or pincers in the cooking process.

regards dave