Old 08-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Peasant

Default Cedar Plank Salmon - blows the grill away

Another family favorite out of the WFO is salmon. I use the flash smoke method, but use higher heat than for chicken, or ribs. IT comes out moist and delicious and has a light smokey flavor. We usually cook two large fillets so there are leftovers for the next few days to snack on and make sandwiches.

The salmon we like best is the farm raised Atlantic Salmon. I prepare it by dribbling it with olive oil and use Everglade seasoning while I fire the oven. The salmon is then placed on Cedar planks that have been soaked in water. I have re-used the planks so many times that they are saturated with oil and probably dont soak up any of the water.

The oven: Burn a good fire for about 60-90 minutes. Not quite pizza temp. Push the fire to the side and let it burn down to embers. Oven should still be pretty hot to do it right. Throw on some smoking wood on top of the embers ( I use Hickory twigs for all my smoking because I have a bunch of them on my property and it is convenient). Allow the hickory sticks to catch fire then place the salmon planks right on to the middle of the oven floor uncovered and shut the door. I place the thickest part of the fillet closest to the fire. If you did it right it will be super smokey and hot inside your oven. Takes about 12-15 minutes to cook them. I pull them out when the temp is 145 f in the thickest part.

You will love it. I think it is one of the best meals out of the oven aside from pizza. I think we may make some this week and I will post pictures
Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Cedar Plank Salmon - blows the grill away

Sounds good
Never heard of the Everglade seasoning so I googled and should be able to make my own version.

The Sneaky Ingredients in Seasonings | Family Gone Healthy
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 AM
Laborer

This sounds good!

I'm in the process of finishing our oven so a newbie. When you shut the door on your oven, doesn't the fire die out or do you not completely block the door? Guess I've seen the posts about shutting the door while a fire is burning and getting a real flash when you open the door later.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Journeyman

Mouth watering ideas!! I am going to try your technique!

The only thing I would add... if you ever get a chance to go Salmon fishing and catch your own - the taste cannot be beat! My son and I went fishing about 10 miles West of the Golden Gate two weeks ago and came back with about 50 pounds of Salmon between us. We were eating Salmon Filets 4 hours later and I cannot describe how good that was!

Of course that might be a little hard in "Missoura!"
Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Apprentice

Have to agree with you Boer... There is no comparison to fresh ocean run...I lived for a while in Wash st. Mt. Vernon,... Clearlake I could catch a few Dolly's any time I wanted, and well the salmon....I am wondering what type of cedar the poster is using...There is no white cedar in Missouri...I can't imagine using the red aromatic that is prevalant....The kind used for moth closets....May be I'm wrong, built my back room out of red cedar, used to smell ...don't now.... any way I know plank salmon is real good..
Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Apprentice

Cedar planks for cooking are typically western red cedar. Northern white cedar grows in the northern central US. In Missouri and southern Illinois we have eastern red cedar which would be really nasty to cook with...at least in my opinion.

jon
Old 09-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Laborer

I just posted a cedar plank salmon I did. I love your idea of smoking it up in the oven with a closed door! Awesome idea! I did mine at pizza temps and the plank was eventually sacrificed to the oven in a blaze of glory.

Also, I put my plank on a sheet pan to catch any drippings from going on the floor. Do you think the oils would just burn off the floor if they did find their way there?

Awesome! Can't wait to try your method...maybe tonight!

Brad

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/salmon-19968.html (Salmon)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Apprentice

I've seen these but I have wondered if they burn when you put them in the WFO?? If I understand the plank method, you soak it for a few hours before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
I'm still confused on what type of cedar?
We get western red cedar imported her in Ozz will that do?
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Apprentice

I used white cedar...I have heard that red cedar is too aromatic. Red cedar is the stuff they use in hamster cages and cedar closets. White cedar is used in construction.