Old 10-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Master Builder

Default Canadian Thanksgiving WFO Turkey

Hi all - it's been a while ... not sure if I still even know anyone here any more!!

Haven't used the oven near as much as I'd like to but we've been improving on that in recent months, despite never-ending wet weather.

Anyway, this is Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and we decided it was about time we did a WFO turkey and ... WOW!!! It was amazing!!!

We put the brined and stuffed 9 kg (20 lbs) bird into a fully fired, then cooled, oven at 1:40 PM. The oven was in the low 500's (F) at that point.

Around 5:30, we pulled out a perfectly cooked, moist & delicious bird.

Served it up with:
mashed potatoes
gravy
stuffing
brussels sprouts with bacon, Canadian whisky and maple syrup
butternut squash (more maple syrup)
cranberry sauce
spiced crabapples (which are fantastic with poultry!)

I then did myself in with cran-apple pie - the pumpkin one's on hold till tomorrow. Didn't do the pies in the oven, as we'd wanted to get them done ahead of time, but hope to give it a try sometime soon.

Cheers!
Sarah
Attached Thumbnails
Canadian Thanksgiving WFO Turkey-bird_out_2.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Serf

Default Re: Canadian Thanksgiving WFO Turkey

great post....i was just telling my wife to make all the nescessary arrangements as we are gonna do thanksgiving in the WFO next year...can't wait
Old 10-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah h View Post
Hi all - it's been a while ... not sure if I still even know anyone here any more!!

Sarah
We're still here Sarah, just napping in our rocking chairs and living vicariously through you. Great menu.

Since I'm in Washington I might just have to celebrate both Canadian and US Thanksgivings HMMMMM
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

May I assume you removed all the coals from the oven?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
I use lump coal not briquettes, this photo was from a previous bake but our Thanksgiving turkey turned out as well. This is a Coal Fired Oven. I like this oven but I don't have the advantage of retained heat for more then a few hours unlike the great retained heat in a WFO.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Wheels View Post
I use lump coal not briquettes, this photo was from a previous bake but our Thanksgiving turkey turned out as well. This is a Coal Fired Oven. I like this oven but I don't have the advantage of retained heat for more then a few hours unlike the great retained heat in a WFO.
I was asking the original poster, sorry for the confusion.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 10-16-2010, 03:39 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
I forgot to mention that part but, yes, the coals came out before the bird went in. I'd have liked smoked turkey but I've read too many posts here about nasty flavours if you leave the coals in and then add the door to retain heat! Maybe sometime I'll try an active fire and no door during cooking?

Sarah
Old 10-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencookie View Post
We're still here Sarah ...
Hi Bruce, glad to see a 'familiar face'! I think you guys in the Northen U.S. would be well served to adopt the Canadian Thanksgiving date anyway - better weather and prettier landscape in October.

Forno di Lucca, looks like you're about to get started on your oven - good luck!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Master Builder

Hi Sarah,
I still stop by from time to time to see what's going on. It's fun to run into someone I know once in a while.
I plan on cooking most of the thanksgiving dinner in our WFO this year and checked in to see what everyone else was doing. My new receipe calls for a hot oven (@550) and a small roasting fire going on while the bird cooks...no door. It requires alot of turning and temp measuring. I think (not sure) I will try it. Hate to experiment on THE day, but I think I can pull it off. I am more familiar with the method you used, and yours looked fantastic. Hard to imagine trying something new, but I am curios about the "smoke" flavor. I normally do the pies in there also, but I haven't ever used this ultra high heat method.
Great to see you here again - wish me luck!

dusty
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Master Builder

Hey Dusty - nice to hear from you!
As I write this, I'm betting that bird is either in the oven or on the table. Bet it turned out just fine. Let us know! (And Happy Thanksgiving!)

Sarah