Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Journeyman

Default Beef to go with your bread?

I saw this on anther "foodie" site and hesitate to put this in the FornoBravo's "Roasting and Grilling" because I think I'd eat this raw, at room temperature! But how about some meat to go with your bread?

Costco - Japanese Wagyu Beef Ribeye Roast 15 lb. Average
Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Beef to go with your bread?

Holy crap, I think I can only afford the butchers paper it comes wrapped it. This stuff is $153 a lb. I believe the US Wagyu is a bit cheaper...but still around $100 a lb. Until I hit the Powerball, I can only dream.
I read the 3 reviews on Costco - one guy in Texas says he buys 5 of these roasts a year. I love beef more than anything...but $11,000 a yr on rib roasts???? Wish he were my neighbor.

RT
Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
one guy in Texas says he buys 5 of these roasts a year.
How much do you want to bet that his name rhymes with "small tree-like plant" and he uses a US Government credit card?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That makes the Veal Shanks I just bought at Whole Foods look downright reasonable!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Master Builder

I'd feel cheated if mine was only 14lbs!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It'd be cheaper to buy the cow, soybeans and saki and pay somebody to raise it for you.

I wonder how much the brisket is?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]

Last edited by Archena; 12-28-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Beef to go with your bread?

A similar situation was witnessed here in Adelaide just prior to Christmas when a woman asked for a large crayfish for the traditional lunch and was handed a Aus$265 crayfish. It currently sells for around $100 /Kg.The season is poor and the Japanese push the price up so we have to pay the same.
She rejected it immediately and wanted an export quality crayfish. An 8.2kg one was produced with a $865 price tag which was fine. It was wrapped and accepted.
It just goes to show what some people pay for their desires and we settle and are happy with the 'cheap cuts'.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Crayfish? $800 for crayfish?! A crayfish?! As in singular crayfish?! An $800 crayfish?!

$800 for something that I can skim off the bottom of a creek for free? $800 for a nasty little scavenger that spends its life under rotting wood in a creek?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Exhibit A. in the case of universal insanity...

A crayfish?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, if it weighed 8.2 kg, obviously it was the crayfish that ate New York. I like them as small critters, but I'm not sure I'd wanna eat one that big. I somehow don't think you'd have been able to dig that one up out of the muck in the creek, somehow... I suspect it would have eaten YOU.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Exhibit A. in the case of universal insanity...

A crayfish?
I suspect that in OZ that term refers to what we call 'lobster', not a good ol'fashioned Southern mudbug.

But at that price... it really doesn't matter. That price is nuts. We are paying $10/lb for American lobster in our Los Angeles area asian markets.