Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Serf

Default Why does bottom of my bread loaves burn?

I tried baking several types of bread and can not seem to get that crispy crunchy exterior. I am baking on the oven floor at about 500 degrees and the bottom of the loaves all start turning black before the upper part has a chance to turn brown and crispy. The bread still tastes good but does not have the crispiness i want.
I preheat until I get the oven dome starts to turn white and let it cool down to about 550. I let it stabilize for about 30 minutes and add a tray of hot water to generate steam. When I put the loves in, usually 2, I also mist the oven and use an oven door to seal the heat in.
The last batch I made I put a baking tray under the loaves and it seemed to help some but that is not really what wood fired baked bread is all about, is it?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

bobnnorm@ptd.net
Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Why does bottom of my bread loaves burn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnnorm View Post
I let it stabilize for about 30 minutes and add a tray of hot water to generate steam.
I think our Guru of bread, Jay, lets the oven equalise for about 2 hours to get all the oven at an even temp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I always cook my bread on trays for this reason. It also makes for less handling of the dough because you can let the loaves rise on the trays.I only cook a few loaves at a time anyway so they don't really pull too much heat out of the floor. Maybe with a fully loaded oven the loaves will cool the floor substantially to prevent the burnt bottoms. You could also wait for the temp to drop a little more before placing the bread.

Another advantage of using trays is that you don't have to mop the floor. In fact I don't even remove the ash, just most of the coals. But I admit I am a lazy baker.

Last edited by david s; 01-27-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Master Builder

It would be good to know a bit about the bread you are baking, mostly if there is added sugar of any quantity.

I super heat my oven till the dome clears. I take out the coals and shut the door for about 1.5 to 2 hours. Then I mop out the floor and shut the door for about 15 minutes then mop once again then load my bread. My floor temp is closer to 500 at this point.

Hope that helps
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Serf

Thanks for the response. But will using trays give results different from baking on the oven floor? That is, a less crusty or crunchy bread or will the texture be basically the same? In my last batch I tried placing the loaves on an upsidedown baking tray when they started to burn and it did slow it down a bit. Do you use the trays as you would normally or do you invert them? I thought about putting the loaves on the tray for the first segment of baking and then put them on the floor to finish. Does this sound like a good idea.

Thanks again

bob
Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Serf

Thanks for the responses. I'll try letting it stabilize for a longer time and see what happens.

Bob
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Master Builder

do you mop your floor? it really helps this is a shot of my bread and I did not use pans just the mop. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...s-img_2136.jpg
Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bob,
I cannot speak from experience, but I'm wondering if you need to load your oven dome more so that it radiates a heat level that more equally matches the floor. This way the loaves would receive more top heat, reducing the time the loaves stay in contact with the floor.
BTW- what is the height of your dome on the inside?

John
Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If using trays, remove the loaves and place them on a rack to keep the bottoms crusty.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Laborer

If you're pressed for time and can't wait for the oven to stabilize fully, just put the bread on two *nested* sheet pans; the air space between the pans will insulate the loaves from the floor, which should eliminate the burning.