Old 12-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Whole Wheat Bread recipe

About 1/2 this recipe made 4 nice round loaves of wheat bread using a poolish started the day before. It was found using a google search. It's in grams and liters but will give you an idea of how to make it. (I only use recipes as a guide anyway, the other 1/2 of the poolish was used for pizza dough and a sourdough starter underway)

Ingredients
Makes a 7 kg dough

POOLISH
Whole wheat flour 1.4 kg
Water 1.4 L
Instant dry yeast pinch

FINAL DOUGH
Bread flour 1.4 kg
Whole wheat flour 1.4 kg
Instant dry yeast 14 g
Poolish, above, 2.7 kg
Water 1.6 L
Salt 78g

Method
1. To prepare the poolish, mix the flour, water and yeast together by hand until well incorporated. Cover and ferment at 75 degrees until bubbly, frothy and just starting to recede, about 10-15 hours. (put in fridge if for the next day)

2. To prepare the final dough, combine the flours and yeast. Add the poolish, water and salt. Mix on a low speed for 4 minutes and on a medium speed for 4 minutes. The dough should be moist but with strong gluten development.

3. Bulk ferment the dough until doubled, about 30 minutes. Fold gently. Allow the dough to ferment for another 30 minutes before dividing.

4. Roll into 567g rounds and leave to rest for 15-20 minutes. Roll into desired shape and prove for I hour.

Cook in a super charged oven at 460'F/238'C. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom, 25-30 minutes. Vent during the last 10 minutes. Cool completely. (One for eating and three in the freezer!)

The biggest trick I had was transferring the raised loaves from the counter to the oven. I used flour on the base as I didn't have cornmeal or I would have used that. I heavily floured the counter so the dough would not stick and then when it had raised I was able to slide my floured peel under the bread without damaging the loaves. For a first try I was happy!

Enjoy every sandwich.....
Old 01-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Whole Wheat Bread recipe

The finished product
Attached Thumbnails
Whole Wheat Bread recipe-whole-wheat-bread.jpg   Whole Wheat Bread recipe-wheat-bread.jpg  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Serf

Default Re: Whole Wheat Bread recipe

I guess that bread looks hard to eat like what I see. But then I will try to baked these recipes when I have a day off to my work.