Old 10-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Journeyman

Default White or Medium Rye Flour Substitute

Is there a blend of flour that I can use to substitute for white rye or medium rye flour? I'm realize i'm probably out of luck with the white rye, but can I blend whole dark rye with bread flour or white wheat to simulate the medium rye? The reason I ask is because I'd like to make a rye loaf, but all the recipes I come across ask for either white or medium rye...neither of which I can find at the stores in my area. I know I can order some, but then that puts me off a good 1.5 weeks or so. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: White or Medium Rye Flour Substitute

I found KA White Rye Flour at my local King Soopers.

You can certainly order from KA online.

I recently ordered all the different types of rye flour (small bags) available from King Arthur and Bob's red mill. Bottom line, they all look pretty similar.

I have been making the walnut rye sourdough from the Hamelman book using a the KA whole rye flour. Good success with that.

Drake
Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Journeyman

The only thing I can find here is Bob's Red Mill Dark Rye and Hodgson mill Rye Flour (doesn't say if its dark or medium). So I may try it with just the whole rye until I can get some of the others in. The loaves will probably be darker and have a stronger rye taste eh?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think you will find very little difference. Compare the Bob's to the Hodgsons...

Dark rye does not mean dark like pumpernickle...

I say just use what you can get your hands on. Most of the rye recipes that I am using have a pretty small percentage of rye anyway. They all use quite a bit of bread flour....
Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Journeyman

So which ones are you using and why? I wanted to try one or two of the ones in The Bread Bakers Apprentice and another I found online at Sourdough Home - Bohemian Rye

Any suggestions?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mostly, I have been making sourdough ryes. The specific recipes are the Sourdough Walnut Rye from Hamelman and the Normandy Rye from Breads from La Brea bakery.

I have been reading about the multi-stage rye breads in Hamelman, but have not tried them yet...they seem to need a lot of very specific timing.

I have had a lot of compliments on the Hamelman sourdough rye with walnuts...

Hope that helps.

Drake
Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Journeyman

I'll check those out. I have his book, but have been mostly looking over techniques so far, which have really helped my bread.