Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Toast Hawaii

This may be like trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs, its not haute cuisine or anything, but its a great way to use up any stale bread you may have laying around... and I've never had a Toast Hawaii quite like this anywhere else.

Take two nice big thick slices of stale homemade bread per person, preferably wholemeal or at least not entirely white (and it really does work better with stale bread) and place on a baking tray.

Slosh a generous portion of wine over them (red, white or rosť, whatever is available). Cover with a nice thick layer of your favourite ham, place two or three slices of pineapple on each portion and cover with another generous layer of raclette cheese (I think I use about 250 g for two portions). Sprinkle with a bit of pepper and nutmeg.

Then bake for about 20 minutes at around 210 C.

Serve with salad and the rest of the wine.
Attached Thumbnails
Toast Hawaii-mosaik10-012.jpg   Toast Hawaii-mosaik10-013.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Toast Hawaii

That looks fantastic!

And if not dough, I can do stale bread.

Was that a handmade mosaic serving tray? Very nice.

dusty
Old 10-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here you go, I finally got round to taking a pic.
Its our children's old play table which we now use for TV dinners - another sad example of children being deprived of their toys for the sake of their parents' hobbies....
Attached Thumbnails
Toast Hawaii-smoke-005.jpg  

Old 10-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Its our children's old play table which we now use for TV dinners - another sad example of children being deprived of their toys for the sake of their parents' hobbies....
That is a beautiful piece. Hope the kids are not deeply scared, because I think it was worth it.

dusty