Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Storing bread

I've been baking a lot of bread, and I'm hoping to keep doing it. No more store bought bread. I'm doing hearth bread and focaccia for dinner and various whole wheat loaves for lunch and toast. I like the Hamelman Whole Wheat Oat bread recipes. Excellent.

Anyway, I want to keep all of these fresh for days as we use them.

What are you using to store bread? Paper bag, plastic bag, tupperware, bread basket, etc.?

I am pretty stuck on this one, so any input would be very appreciated.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Storing bread

What we do is, we freeze the bread in day sized portions. We take the bread out every night and leave it defrost in a paper bag which is inside a wooden bread storage thing. And to my mind it tastes as nearly fresh as you can get it without baking each day.

It does mean you need a big freezer though...

Old 09-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Apprentice

Paper bags work best for us; the Plastic bags and Tupperware seem to make the bread soggy and soften the crust.

Malinda

Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Do you use regular paper bags -- the type we used to use for a bag lunch?

I have this funny idea of getting a logo for our homemade bread and stamping it on my bread. The kids would get a kick out of it.
James

Old 09-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Master Builder

On the bread or on the bag? The first project I printed as a hobby printer many years ago was a brown paper lunch bag. I took some digging but my wife had saved one...photo attached (although the flash reflection does it a dis-service). Since then there have been lots of bags and napkins printed here. Even printed for an older couple that live near you James, (you're on 17 Mile Drive right?) first names: John and Priscilla perhaps you know them? They used to have a home up here and one down there and my wife did canvas work for their boat up here.
What you might consider is to make connection with a hobby printer in your area. They're (we're) always open for a swap...bread for bags. Should you be interested I know a few who live not too far from you.
Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Storing bread-out-lunch.jpg  
Old 09-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Wiley,

That's it! That's just what I was thinking -- I am feeling even more motivated to do this. Plus, if I have a big bundle of bags, I will stay motivated to keep baking. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, we are about a block from 17 mile drive -- and that's where I do a lot of my running. Low 60's, foggy and nice air; perfect. I will ask Carrie about a John and Priscilla. Of course 17 mile drive is, well, 17 miles -- and there are lots of little roads and neighborhoods the wind off from it.
James

Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Storing bread

James,
we had something similar going back a while ago but all my efforts have fallen into a hole. The sales rep from the international company has not contacted me with regards to my bread bag enquiry.
I do have a contact who worked for an Irish bag maker and will explore his experiences into the plastic or foil lines paper bags used and requested from fellow mwmbers.
See:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/...bags-4087.html (Bakery Bags?)

for the links.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Apprentice

James;

Yes we use regular old brown paper lunch bags. I think I'll be taking a trip to Michaels craft store to see if I can find a neat rubber stamp to stamp it with!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Master Builder

For those who have the ability to draw and those good with a scanner and computer (clip art etc.) you can generate/create a line image of what you want and have a custom rubber stamp made at many stationary type stores. If you are really adept you can do half-tones but they will need to be fairly coarse. I have been told that one can get a stamp made at "Staples" for those in the US. Since most of those interested are not planning on selling their product but are doing this for their own use, they are most probably exempt from any copyright type restrictions. One could also check out Dover Books who have many books of illustrations as they are usually free of copyright restrictions as well.
Wiley
Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Master Builder

I'll step out on a limb here and say that I actually prefer plastic to paper for bread storage. For freezing, I use a large Ziploc. For counter storage (up to 4-5 days), I put the loaf in a plastic bag or Ziplock but leave the end open. This keeps the crust fairly crisp but prevents total dry-out. I find that paper results in an overly dry crumb. I imagine other methods work better in other parts of the country, though.

If the bread is already cut, I leave it upright on a cutting board and pull a bag over the top.