Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Steaming?

Hey, has anyone tried throwing in a wet piece of towel to get their steam for bread baking? Or maybe some vessel with a small hole in it?

A slow release steam without opening the door??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Steaming?

I usually put a cast iron pan in and then pour in some water. What works better is to seal the door with wet rags.

Slow release....thats sounds like it might work better - I will have to try it

Old 03-13-2008, 02:50 AM
Journeyman

Daniel Leader suggests putting in some ice cubes, in a suitable container e.g. cast iron grill pan - haven't tried this, but it sounds 'slow-release' to me :-)

LMH
Old 03-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Serf

Can someone post some pictures of how they seal the door with rags? I tried, but it was just too much of a pain. I have started putting a cast iron pan with hot water in a few minutes before I load. Enough water, and it steams the whole time. I don't really understand the ice cube idea - I think it provides the same amount of steam, just defers it to later in the bake, after it's most useful. Not to be a broken record, but as I said here, closing the flue has done amazing things for my steam retention. When I open the door late in the bake, there's still steam pouring out, and I actually have to open the flue to suck the steam out to finish the crusts in a dry oven.