Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Journeyman

Default Steam in the oven

Hello All,

I'm wondering what the proper way is to steam your oven for baking bread. My oven is a 36" pompeii oven made out of firebrick. Just worried about causing damage to my oven dome.

Thanks !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Steam in the oven

i sometimes throw in a few ice cubes at the same time as placing the bread, or a pie tin full of water. Others say that with a really full load of bread you don't need any extra humidity.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Master Builder

I have one of those little garden sprayers with an adjustable nozzle. I set it for a fine mist. A good long squirt, 5 seconds or so, before and after I put the bread in does the job for me.
I haven't cracked my oven yet. It's made of fired clay pavers (firebrick is quite expensive here in Oz). They haven't cracked yet, even though they are not supposed to be as thermal shock resistant as firebricks.
Another way is to have a can of water sitting in the oven boiling away when you put the bread in. I imagine that would actually be kinder to your dome.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I have one of those little garden sprayers with an adjustable nozzle. I set it for a fine mist. A good long squirt, 5 seconds or so, before and after I put the bread in does the job for me.
You know, I was thinking I would make a steam delivery system as a part of another door, involving copper tube, a petcock valve and a hose quick connect.

I like your way better. It will save me a bunch of time and fiddling. However, you need to post pics of the bread you bake using this method....seriously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Journeyman

I have a tray of pumice that I allow to heat up with the oven(indoor electric) and I throw a jug of water in it as I throw the loaves in.
I also use a hand spray on the loaf.
I like my bread crusty
Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Apprentice

As wotavidone notes above, I've used the small hand pump sprayer for years to raise the humidity in the baking chamber. No problems with cracking, in fact when you spray into the chamber the mist never really contacts the stone...it just turns to steam.

No light chamber misting (adequate for bread) is going to damage hot bricks...however there will be a problem if you throw a large quantity of water on the hearth. I talked to a fellow at a restaurant in Lake Havasu where they had cracked the hearth of a commercial (dome style) gas pizza oven. They were closing down and a new employee was told to clean out the oven. They meant to brush it out, but he thought throwing a bucket of soapy water in would work better...

Another method that's been noted on the forum is to put some chain into an iron skillet and into the oven to preheat before baking bread. When you put the loaves in the oven you put a cup or two of ice cubes on top of the chain. The ice melts down into the hot skillet through the hot chain links producing lots of steam with no direct water contact on the hearth. If you do multiple batches of bread, simply leave the skillet & chain in place to get back up to temp for the next ice cube batch.
)

Photo albums

Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What??!

I don't know who is the bigger moron, the manager for not explaining what he meant by 'cleaning' the oven, or the noob for dumping a bucket of soapy water into a hot hearth.

That's pretty dumb.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Master Builder

Shouldn't a garden hose nozzle with a mist option do the trick?
Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build:
Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Shouldn't a garden hose nozzle with a mist option do the trick?
NO! NO! NO! Way too many things that can go wrong. You're talking about the potential of quickly introducing a large volume of water into the hot oven (almost like throwing a bucket full into the chamber... ). All I foresee with that method is cracked dome and hearth bricks in the near future.

What I like about the 1-2 liter pump garden sprayer (not a small hand sprayer for counters) is that the volume is much lower and more controllable. You can deliver a good mist into the chamber without "actual, significant amounts" of water reaching the walls or hearth. The mist turns quickly into the steam you want without damaging the oven.
)

Photo albums

Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Master Builder

The nozzle i have in mind does not output alot of water the mist is very gentle. Trust me i know what alot of water looks like coming out of a hose/nozzle. It has the consistency of a patio mister.
Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: