Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default spent grain bread

Absolutely marvelous. It was spent grain from an oatmeal stout, and the bread was a lovely dark rye color, and moist and flavorful. I was initially worried that it would be bitter, which is my experience of how beer tastes (this is why I don't drink it!) but it wasn't at all.

I am insisting that Wilson keep on brewing. I don't care if he gets the biggest beer belly this side of the Mississippi, I must have spent grains!

If any of you have access to a microbrewery or have a source, grab it!

I'll try to get pix later, right now I gotta go paint a garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: spent grain bread

I thought Reinhart's spent grain bread was the best whole grain style bread I ever ate so I am 100% with you! I really need to find a reliable source. I would hate to have to take up beer brewing just for the spent grain, but...

Thanks for reminding me. Haven't done spent grain in about a year. Gotta find some...
Jay
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Apprentice

Can't wait to see your pics!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm thinking that maybe I'll pan the bread next time to see what happens. I can't wait until Wilson makes his Belgian Abbey Ale to see what that grain does!

Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
spent grain bread-p1010050a_002.jpg   spent grain bread-p1010050a_001.jpg  

Old 11-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
Absolutely marvelous. It was spent grain from an oatmeal stout, and the bread was a lovely dark rye color, and moist and flavorful. I was initially worried that it would be bitter, which is my experience of how beer tastes (this is why I don't drink it!) but it wasn't at all.

I am insisting that Wilson keep on brewing. I don't care if he gets the biggest beer belly this side of the Mississippi, I must have spent grains!

If any of you have access to a microbrewery or have a source, grab it!
Hi,

I just ran across this thread and being a homebrewer and homebaker find the concept of merging the two perfect. Can you give me any more info on how you use the spent grain in your bread?

TIA,

Dwight
Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Apprentice

I am very interested too. They one thing that pops to mind it that the grain I use is cracked/crushed whole grain and has whole or almost whole husks throught the grain (helps the water flow through it when brewing beer). Does all of this go into the mix?

Cheers
James

Old 02-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbo View Post
I am very interested too. They one thing that pops to mind it that the grain I use is cracked/crushed whole grain and has whole or almost whole husks throught the grain (helps the water flow through it when brewing beer). Does all of this go into the mix?

Cheers
James
I've kind of wonered the same thing. I found this:

Green-Savvy: Recipe: Spent grain bread

It sounds like they just put it all in. Seems a bit odd but I guess I'll just have to try it next time I brew.

Dwight
Old 02-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Elizabeth, for getting this thread started!

I’ve been feeling like a one note orchestra baking Pain Rustic. I always get rave reviews, but needed a reason to push further into other breads. I have PR’s Whole Grain Breads and understand the concepts, so your thread gave me the addition kick in the @$$ to find a source of spent grain. The husband of my wife’s BFF is an advanced home brewer and has some professional connections into the local micro brewery scene, so I placed a call. Karsen, was set to start a batch on Saturday morning and offered to pass along the spent grain. I accepted the offer without reservation. My wife and I arrived just after he had drained off the liquid, tea?, from the grain. OMG! My wife’s impression of the smell was to compare it to something close to chocolate. I went home with about 3 to 4 gallons of spent grain. Last night I put four 3 cup portions of it in the freezer, this morning I made a 4X batch of PR’s recipe. I know I’ll need four loafs, three to pass on one for home. I should do the baking tomorrow afternoon.

The first photo shows, from left to right, The soaker, the Biga and the Spent Grain. The second shows the SG and Biga in the fridge.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
spent grain bread-spentgrain1.jpg   spent grain bread-spentgrain2.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris,

Let us know how the bread comes out. It sounds scrumptious! Funny, I went over to pick up PR's Whole Grain Breads yesterday at the Borders Books (Chapter 11) closing sale yesterday but discovered it for $10 less on Amazon so put it back. I had no idea there was a spent grain recipe in it.

If you continue to make spent grain breads here's some brewing terminology for you.

Conversion - The process of converting starch (barley) chains to sugar chains by placing raw, cracked malted barley into ph-corrected water and holding this Mash at a steady target temperature until enzymes have completed the conversion.

Lauter - The process of straining warm, ph-corrected rinse water through the converted mash in order to extract the now-liquid barley pulp. The leftover grain husks are what makes up the mass of spent grain.

Wort - (Rhymes with squirt) The liquid volume resulting from rinsing your grains. This sweet (chocolate-like in Stouts) sugar-laden liquid base for beer must have something bitter added to it by boiling or you wouldn't like to drink it.

Looking forward to some bread pics!

John

Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 02-20-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks John, As I understand it the liquid just off of the grain is tea, then after heating to near boiling and adding hops, it becomes wort.. Heck, I don't know.

I post pictures tomorrow..

Chris

PS I suppose it could be that the point that it becomes wort, is when yeast is added. Like I said, Heck, I don't know..

Last edited by SCChris; 02-20-2011 at 01:44 PM.