Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Sourdough starter on holiday...

...or rather we will be for nearly three weeks. The sourdough has to stay home

So what should I best do with it? Just leave it in the fridge, ask someone to look after it for me while I'm gone (dough sitting...) or put it in the deep freeze?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Sourdough starter on holiday...

I'd give it a hefty feeding and leave it in the fridge. I accidentally left mine out on the counter for a week and was still able to bring it back. I've also let it hang out in the fridge for about 2 weeks w/o any ill effects.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Apprentice

Mine survived unattended in the fridge for months. My understanding (which may be flawed) is that the acidity of the starter inhibits mold growth. My starter doesn't make particularly sour tasting bread, but I think that just means I have more lactic acid and less acetic acid.

Or something.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
...or rather we will be for nearly three weeks. The sourdough has to stay home
Well if it was a pet you would get someone to come over and check up on it, a starter has to be as important. Hire a sitter.

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 06-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
Well if it was a pet you would get someone to come over and check up on it, a starter has to be as important. Hire a sitter.
Yeah, but what if they don't treat it right? You know, use strong language in its hearing, let it stay up late nights, stuff it with junk food, or worse ...

I could end up coming back to a traumatised sourdough culture...!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Master Builder

Frances, my poor, abused starter bounced right back - I'm sure it will be OK but if not, you did it once, so you know you can at least make more if it comes to that. Have a great holiday (sigh of envy here!) and don't even think about that starter while you're gone!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Journeyman

Yeah....just like stated above, dump half - feed it - stick it in the fridge tightly covered. I have a backup sitting in the back of my fridge that lives in a tightly sealed crock. It comes out about once every 2-3 months. I let it warm up on the counter. Same story - dump half and feed it. Bubbles right up. Another snack and nighty-night.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Master Builder

Don't worry a bit...3 weeks in the fridge...no harm at all!!!
Just enjoy the trip!
Best
Dutch
Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Right, I'll do that. Thanks guys and girl(s)

We're leaving on Friday for two weeks in the Bretagne, France (would that be Brittany in English I wonder?) and on the way back we'll be stopping off at Disney World Paris for a couple of days ... but I'm sure the kids will enjoy it...

Old 06-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Apprentice

Brittany indeed! I spent a (fantastic) year of my university career living in Rennes, so my envy is very real. Enjoy the vacation!