Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Sifting Flour - Is it Necessary?

Of late I have been sifting flour for both pizza and bread and I have noticed a distinct lighter texture than without sifting.

The bread particulalry is really nice sifted though pizza may well be good without it if a heavier texture is desired.

Any comments on this topic from the experts?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Sifting Flour - Is it Necessary?

I only sift flour under three conditions:

1. making a cake
2. making pie crust (pate)
3. really high humidity that has caused the flour to clump.

All other times... scoop and scrape (even though "the experts" seem to be against scooping and preaching 'spoon and scrape' these days).
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 PM

I sift all my AP flour, mostly because I keep it in the dedicated sifter bin in my Hoosier Cabinet.

I don't know if it makes any difference. It never gets clogged with lumps or anything.

I don't sift my Caputo. I weigh it out in 500g bags and store it in a sealed container.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I guess a better approach would be to understand the actual purpose of sifting flour - then see if it applies to bread and pizza baking.

Some thoughts here to start with: The Purpose of Sifting - FineCooking.com
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't think sifting has any significance to bread. Its main purpose is to remove lumps for things that are only lightly mixed and kneaded and to give a relatively consistent density for those who measure by volume as I understand it. (Well, to remove bugs and rocks too!) It is hard to envision it making any difference if you thoroughly mix the dough for the mechanical working and slipping of particles past each other as the dough is worked would seem likely to close the difference. Not saying it can't make a difference, more that it seems unlikely to me. Perception is an important factor in this. If you expect it to make a difference you will likely perceive it. And if not, not...

My $.02!
Jay
Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Laborer

Many years ago I sifted religiously, but I gave it up when I got my first reasonably accurate scale. Now I never sift. Whenever possible I work by weight, stir thoroughly with the other dry ingredients, and then on with the recipe. If I am working from a new recipe that does not provide weights, then I weigh everything as I go and use the weights if I use the recipe again.

I think sifting was basically an attempt at getting consistent results from one bake day to the next.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Journeyman

for bread, if you're volume measuring vs. scaling your ingredients, sifting would definitely produce a lighter loaf, yes.
I always thought sifting was a holdover from back in the day when weevils were more of a problem. Not that I have had a dose or two of weevils from crappy grocery store flour, but I think back in the day, it was presumed that flour would have bugs in it.
I only ever sift for cakes, and even then it depends on the type of cake. Whisking up the flour in the storage container is a quick and easy way to avoid sifiting but still get some of the lightening effect.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Apprentice

I made a couple of loaves of pan cubano last week, and the recipe called for sifting... they turned out very well.. very light.