Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Peasant

Default Russian Black Bread

Here is a traditional recipe for Russian black bread this is a very heavy and dense loaf with great flavor. I have not made this in a wood fired oven yet as mine is not yet finished so you may have to experiment a bit to get good results. This bread is a no knead variety so very easy to make. So here goes

Russian Black Bread

6 TBlsp ADY (Active Dry Yeast)
1 cup very warm water
3/4 cup Rye flour (dark pumpernickle is best)
2 cups Whole wheat flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup oat bran
1 tsp Caraway seed
1 tsp Fennel seed
1 Tblsp cider vinegar
2 Tblsp Dark Molasses
1 Tblsp corn oil
1 Tblsp minced onion

dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water to proof. Combine dry ingredients, in a seperate bowl combine wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Add yeast and mix well if too dry add water if too wet add flour. Turn dough onto well floured surface and form into round shallow loaf. Brush with oil and let rise until loaf holds imprint whe gently touched. Bake in 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes cool on rack and brush with oil.

When you eat this loaf you will know why you could live on just this and water. Enjoy
buckeyebreadman likes this.