Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Journeyman

Default Quick-shine

I sometimes don't like the appearance of my bread crust (both hearth and pan breads) and was thinking or trying "Quick Shine spray" to help ensure that the crust looks shiny rather than dull.

Quick Shine Enhanced Spray 16oz.. Item:7097. Misc. Baking Ingredients from Surfas.
Quick Shine Spray 16oz.. Item:7094. Misc. Baking Ingredients from Surfas.

I've tried brushing on egg white and cream, as well as spritzing water, but have been thinking of an easier and (maybe) more reliable solution

Does anyone have experience or comments on these types of products?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Quick-shine

Brian
We have not used them but...I see no reason why not...we bake a good many loaves at a bake and therefore don't have issues that can be present when baking smaller amounts...it would definitely make it easier to get seeds to stick quick
Let us know how you like it!
Best
Dutch
Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Quick-shine

I've been using this product now for a few months. Unfortunately I'm not able to bake as often as I'd like to. The "active ingredient" are milk solids so it sprays on white and gives the product a nice brown and glossy look. No noticable flavor is associated with the spray. It is a lot easier than other kinds of washes... except maybe a brushing of cream, which is quite easy.

I wouldn't think it is all that useful on hearth breads but it does a nice job on pan breads and sweet breads, like this morning's hot-cross buns.