Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Hearth Bread and Flatbread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Peasant

Default for pain a l'ancienne, is there anything better than kingArt's bread flour?

Any improvements to King Arthur's Bread Flour for USA Northeasterners, or anywhere in the USA, for that matter?

I'm not complaining about the KA stuff, it works for me just fine, and it is available at the local supermart. I'm just wondering if there is a better one out there for pain a l'ancienne.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Peasant

Default Re: for pain a l'ancienne, is there anything better than kingArt's bread flour?

Never mind . . . I saw the price of Guista (sp) flour. I'll stay with my King Art!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: for pain a l'ancienne, is there anything better than kingArt's bread flour?

What are you looking for? Higher hydration? We don't use KA bread flour...only some of the whole flours...we are very challenged for ingredient here as far as bread flours go so we have to experiment with different things to condition the doughs...ascorbic acid...vital wheat gluten...etc...
Dutch
Old 04-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Peasant

I'm looking for anything that will excite the taste buds. I only make pain a l'ancienne and it's "family" (pizza, small rolls, whatever). I do not work woth whole wheat or similar flours.

As I said, I am very successful and satisfied with KA bread flour, but one is always curious how another flour will work. for the record, I tried KA all-purpose flour, and their bread flour is makes a much tastier pain a l'ancienne loaf. Yes, it gives a moister crumb as well as a better (for me) flavor.

Last edited by Thirties; 04-17-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

If you want to experiment with flour, try Giustos. Most excellent. Pricy, and you have to pay for shipping, but I think it's worth it when you are really going for it.

Giusto's - Giusto's Home Page

Besides, the cost of flour, compared with a so-so $5.50 "artisan" loaf in the supermarket, is relatively inexpensive.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ouch! Not only is the golf expensive in Pebble Beach, the price of bread is out in space as well! How much is a loaf of Bambi bread?

-
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Ouch! Not only is the golf expensive in Pebble Beach, the price of bread is out in space as well! How much is a loaf of Bambi bread?
??? Whaaa?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Master Builder

Thirties
???? We refer to Wonder/Sunbeam/whatever as "Bambi bread"...the kind you can smush into a something resembling a golf ball!
I'll check out some things that might help you with your bread flavor!
Dutch
Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Peasant

James, DutchOven et al, what exact type of Giusto's or other flour do you use... for example, Giusto's Baker's Choice or Ultimate Performer? Though I'm following the instructions in James's videos on this web site and using high hydrations, I'm really not getting the open crumb in my ciabatta and pain a l'ancienne that I see pictured on this web site or like in Reinhart's books. I guess my question is how high or low does the gluten need to be? I've tried lower total gluten by mixing 80% Giusto's Bakers choice (13% gluten) with Caputo Tipo 000 (~9% gluten) which was slightly better than straight Giusto's Baker Choice. And I tried the other way with adding 5-6% gluten flour (70%gluten) which was a more open crumb but really heavy otherwise. Or,maybe, I'm just not handling the dough correctly somehow...so I'll forge on, "practice makes perfect"...Many thanks to my wife and neighbors who like to eat my mistakes...Any suggestions are appreciated. Richard
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Richard,

I've made the Ancienne recipe many, many times and taught it to my workshop students many, many times. Universally, I've found that it's not so much the flour (long as it's hard and around 12 percent), but problems occur in handling, leading to deflation, leading to a dense crumb.

The mantra I give my students is: "Do not hesitate, do not overhandle, just do it." High hydration doughs will only accept minimal handling, so I also point out, "If you can find any way to reduce the amount of handling, do that, too."

Jim