Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default New recipe

I tried the Flaxseed bread from Hamelman yesterday. It came out quite well, I think. It's a 60% rye. Texture's nice, crust is what I'd expect from a rye, and the flavor's good. Sort of like a rye wasa cracker. I see potential in this one for all kinds of toppings... cheeses, hummus, etc.

I'm not sure where the hole in the crumb came from, maybe my shaping again? I tried to get all the air pockets out, really I did...
Attached Thumbnails
New recipe-p1010029_005.jpg   New recipe-p1010029_006.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Peasant

Default Re: New recipe

They look lovely, Elizabeth. Did you add yeast or are they pure sourdough?

Annie
Old 02-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New recipe

The recipe has added yeast. The way the recipe is written it looks as though the sourdough is only for the flavor. It's still nice, however. I like the flaxseed too. I'd have preferred the dark flaxseeds instead of the golden ones, so you could see them better, but I didn't have any.

I've gotten accustomed to adding some yeast to the whole wheats, as Reinhart does in his Whole Grains book. It does seem to help the bread be less of a non-rising brick. As does the practice of presoaking.

The other rye I make has lots more sourdough in it, and doesn't need any extra yeast. It has caraway seeds too- and a much more tangy flavor. It isn't a very blank canvas for other foods, though! Makes a mean pastrami sandwich...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.