Old 09-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Never buy store bread again?

I'm enjoying my latest bread baking binge, and I'm thinking of issuing a challenge. Can you never buy store bread again?

I wonder how long I can keep this up? I made two 2lb loaves of whole wheat oatmeal bread for toast and sandwiches, and four 1lb baguettes for dinner and lunches over the weekend. That should hold us until later in the week. Maybe I'll make a fresh focaccia for dinner mid-week.

Frances, you are already there. Anybody want to join us? Can we do it?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Never buy store bread again?

I don't believe I'll be able to never by store bread again, but I fired my oven yesterday morning and threw together a big batch of dough. I yielded 7 loaves (approx 450g each) in bread pans, 1 hearth bread @ 900g, and about 10-100g buns. 3 of the 7 loaves I did specialty breads. One with fresh garlic & rosemary, one with chopped roasted hot peppers, and the other with asiago cheese. Before the oven was cool enough to put the bread in I sliced up an eggplant from the garden and put EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic & rosemary and roasted them in the hot oven. They all turned out wonderful.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Journeyman

I tried that, but ultimately failed. It worked well until the kids got old enough to eat sandwiches -- then nothing except store-bought white bread was "good enough" for them. I'm now trying to convert them to home-made bread by startign with home-made white bread. If I can accomplish that I think I can get them hooked on better breads.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hi Brian,

Try King Arthur White Whole Wheat. It's a lighter whole wheat flour that you might slip by them as being real white bread. :-)
James

Old 09-29-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm now trying to convert them to home-made bread by startign with home-made white bread.
You might also look at the new ultragrain flours, which promise whole grain nutrition while behaving like white flours. It's been on sale lately, and I've been using it as my all purpose flour, for pie crust and such, with success.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

David,

Where do you get it? Is it in the store, or do you order it online? Also, do you feel OK about the health/wholefood claims? I should read more and give it a try.
James

Old 09-29-2008, 06:49 PM

I bought another five pound bag of it tonight:

It's not pure ultragrain, it's a blend, from Eagle Mills, in the supermarket. For quite a while it's been on sale for the price of house brand unbleached AP flour. I like it. When made into bread dough, it has that "whole wheat" smell, but otherwise it acts just like unbleached AP.

I take it on faith that it has whole grain nutrition. It wouldn't be the first time someone claimed bogus "nutrition" values for a consumer product.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Laborer

Thumbs up Re: Never buy store bread again?

James,

I have been on the same binge! I definitely have cut down on store bought and I have also been handing bread out to family and friends. They all say the same thing. "ancora, ancora"

Dmun,
That Eagles Mills stuff is schifoso! = stinky, as in no good. Yields rock hard product. [e solo la mia opinione]
Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Journeyman

I can't say just when I started, but we have been using home made sourdough bread for some months now. The only store variety we buy is a specialty roll now and again... (some might call these donuts...).

Mostly I cook a whole wheat / oat bread, but tried a straight up white bread a couple weeks ago. Big hit.. but will stick mostly with the wheat bread to increase the whole grain benefits in the diet.

I have started buying flour at the local 'cash and carry' store - specializes in selling to the food service business. They have nearly a dozen different flours to choose from in 50 pound bags. We are using enough flour that we go through a 50 #er every month or two, and the cost ends up about a penny and once lower than the local market options, for a higher protein flour. (Pendleton brand, "Morebread", the spec sheet says 12% protein).

No plans to change this system, we like eating the home made bread..

JED
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigliodiMariaeGiovanni View Post
James,

I have been on the same binge! I definitely have cut down on store bought and I have also been handing bread out to family and friends. They all say the same thing. "ancora, ancora"
Che marca si usa? Which flour are you using?

I am using Caputo for focaccia and my baguettes and a mix of King Arthur -- whole wheat, white whole wheat, bread and general purpose for my sandwich loaves. I'm getting my King Arthur from Trader Joe's, which gives me the choice of doing mix and match across different recipes.

Great thread all. Thanks.
James