Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Apprentice

Default My first sourdough attempt

Here are pictures of my first sourdough attempt. Taste was GREAT, wish the crust was crustier. I got my starter from wholefoods. An extremely gracious baker just went in back and gave me some sourdough starter to try when I was inquiring about whether they sold cake yeast (which they don't). So I cooked the loaves at about 530 F and pulled them when it looked like they do in the pictures. Internal temp was 208 F. I put a very small tinfoil pan with water in the oven for the entire cook. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
My first sourdough attempt-img_1319.jpg   My first sourdough attempt-img_1321.jpg   My first sourdough attempt-img_1324.jpg   My first sourdough attempt-img_1320.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Serf

Default Re: My first sourdough attempt

Those look AMAZING! I have heard that steam is the trick; maybe your small pan of water wasn't making steam and you need to put water or ice directly on the hot floor? In the pictures, your crust looks great, though.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Journeyman

Looks very good

For steam I use an old pan full of pumice that I let heat up and add cold water to it as I put the loaves in.
I get crusty loaves.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Apprentice

Any idea on how much water is enough? I used about a cup (8 oz) and it was all gone when I pulled the bread.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
Looks very good

For steam I use an old pan full of pumice that I let heat up and add cold water to it as I put the loaves in.
I get crusty loaves.
I do the same thing except i use hot water, it works great.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Journeyman

Looks a hell of a lot better than my first attempt.

Thoughts...

You got the starter from a bakery so you know you have a highly active, completely mature starter. It shows. Good oven spring.

I think you are somewhat over-proofed. As a result, you have a relatively tight, uniform crumb. Some strive for that...I like a slightly larger less uniform crumb.

You need a bit more steam for better color. Ideally...more bread in the oven to provide the steam....if not that, then ice cubes on lava rocks as the loaves go in. Don't need a lot. For a small oven...maybe five ice cubes on four or five lava rocks (or chucks of firebrick left over from your build) piled up in a pie tin.

But the bottom line is that the bread looks great. Nothing wrong with that. No mouse holes. Decent color. Bravo.

Bill