Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default I'm building a bread loader or two.

I'll be putting together a couple of very basic bread loaders, one for my WFO and one for my kitchen oven. One motivation for building these loaders is to broaden the bread shapes that I'm doing to include baguettes and other more delicate shapes. The other motivation is more effective and quicker loading of these ovens. Using a peel to load 12 loaves and keep the spacing, isn't all that difficult, but by using a loader I can really control how the shaped loaves are laid into the oven and do the loading quicker.

If my math is correct, my WFO loader will cover a maximum floor space of 36" deep by 20" wide. I think I can use a quality birch cabinet plywood as the support structure for a linen conveyor. The loaders that I see used commercially are stainless covered with some fabric that the shaped loaves are placed and slashed just before being push into the oven. The loader is then magically removed as it deposits the loaves softly on the oven deck in a smooth motion. If you havenít seen a loader, just search youtube.
Iíll include pictures and drawings as I go along. Please don't expect any fancy, I just want something that works as intended.

Chris
Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: I'm building a bread loader or two.

Chris,

Do you have a specific link that you are trying to emulate? Your approach will be fun to watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have no specific link, but here is one for reference. Of course I only need 36 by 20, this is enough for 8, 9 inch, 800g boules or, 12, 18 inch long baguettes. I'll have space on the side that I think I can put 4 additional boules or baguettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCXzQhxsTyc

Chris
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Awesome. I was in Boudin's in San Fran and never paid attention to how the bread was loaded into the ovens. Watching the link I still don't see how it is released so easily. I would have a bunch of "balls" sitting next to the back wall Keep us posted and thanks! Still learning...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Laborer

It sounds like you're building a mega-Superpeel. Linen from SBFI http://www.sfbi.com/linen_canvas_couche.html should work. There are some good photos of the commercial ones on page 6 of this catalog (I think these are the ones TMB Baking imports): SASA Cata GB01032011
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hesitated to include the link because what I intend to make is only a distant cousin of the commercial versions. Les, what is happening is that the supporting peel is being pulled back by the linen as the linen is pulled underneath. The loaves are stationary relative to the oven floor and the linen loops back underneath. As I see it there are really three main components;
The supporting peel, for lack of a better name.
The linen that lays on the supporting peel
A board or some such that connects to the top end of the linen and anchors this end outside the oven floor. This board's position is the reference point that positions the rest of the device. It's just a mega-Superpeel.

Chris
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Laborer

I've been thinking of a similar device. I wonder how well a loader like that would work with a round oven though. Have fun....I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

~Aaron
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I ordered 3 yards of 18 inch wide linen from SFBI to act as the conveyor. I'll need to find a of good half inch plywood to support the linen conveyor and loaves, this may need to be replaced with something more heat resistant.. We'll see.. My feeling is that the heat will be brief enough that the ply will last for some reasonable time. I don't know how the linen will react to the brief exposure to heat.

Oh I also ordered 4 more 8 inch linen lined baskets, that makes 12 round proofing baskets.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 02-26-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Journeyman

Wow! How cool is that?

Can't wait to see how you do it. I may have a project (after I watch you do it.)

On a related note, Laurentis asked me in another thread how long it takes me to load 16 loaves. As part of calculating an answer, I went through the various steps required. One of the steps was slashing loaves and my estimate was ten seconds per loaf. Probablly about right for me. But did you see how fast that guy was slashing loaves in that youtube video?

He slashed 29 loaves in sixteen seconds. Almost two loaves per second. Unbelievable.

Bill
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
Wow! How cool is that?

Can't wait to see how you do it. I may have a project (after I watch you do it.)

On a related note, Laurentis asked me in another thread how long it takes me to load 16 loaves. As part of calculating an answer, I went through the various steps required. One of the steps was slashing loaves and my estimate was ten seconds per loaf. Probablly about right for me. But did you see how fast that guy was slashing loaves in that youtube video?

He slashed 29 loaves in sixteen seconds. Almost two loaves per second. Unbelievable.

Bill
Great idea I am thinking of a possible side loader and an end loader because of the round oven.

I think an aluminum frame with a couple of rollers and linen would work quite well.

I will keep an eye out and be trying a parallel design.

Chip