Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Journeyman

Default Getting a feel for quick No-Knead bread

I have been using the No-knead bread technique for about 3 weeks. Last night I arrived home @ 9pm and my children informed me that they needed bread for lunches tomorrow. Obviously, I did not have time for the long slow 12 hr rise. So I modified the recipe based upon what I knew of the chemistry. I really think that Cannuck Jim is right about feel. I could tell from the texture and feel of the dough that this was going to work. I made bread in 2 hrs flat. It came out absolutely awesome. It did not quite have the fully developed flavor but was great nontheless.

Here is what I did

I know that the long rise is a low yeast recipe and that during that time, the gluten develops. I quadrupled the yeast in the recipe, then mixed it for 1 minute with my little sunbeam hand mixer. Let it rise for one hour. Then into my high tech $3.99 crock pot innards bread pans. Cook @ 475 for 1/2 hr with a lid. Then 15 minutes without the lid.

Here is the ingredient list

600 grams flour
480 grams water
8 grams salt
8 grams yeast

I would post pictures but the kids ate all the evidence.

Bruce