Old 11-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Feeding sourdough

Quick question.

I fed my starter yesterday and give it 16 hours to grow (and it's looking good). I poured off 220gr (100gr flour and 120gr water).

Do I just put it back in the refrigerator at this point until I use again?

I don't have to feed it again before it goes back into the fridge? Or, do I?

Thanks,
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Feeding sourdough

I usually let mine feed for an hour or so, and then put it back in the fridge. The only time I let it go for 12 hrs or longer is when I plan on using it.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Journeyman

Hi James,

I try to put my starter back in the fridge an hour or two after a feeding, however, I have neglected the poor thing and let it set out over night before giving it a chance to rest in the fridge. It will come back to life just fine, although it may not have the same spunk as the starter that went into cold storage with the shorter time at room temp.

JED
Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

If I feed it now, and then again 12-16 hours before I need to use it -- that means two feedings with each bake. One for storage and one for the build for bread.

Is that right? Eeeek.
James

Old 11-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Journeyman

When was the last time you fed it? When I take my starter out of the fridge, I feed it and let it double. At that point, I either put it back in the fridge or I use it. I don't do two feedings before I use it b/c my levain build will cover that. If you fed your starter within the last 5 hours, I'd still be inclined to put it in the fridge w/o another feeding.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I fed it yesterday at mid-day, about 16 hours before I used it to make bread. It was out all day and night in the upper to low 60s.

I added 100gr flour and 120gr water, which I took back out to make by bread.

What do you think?
James

Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Journeyman

If its been out 16+ hrs already, you should probably feed it again and then put it in the fridge an hour or so after that. Now, I've taken mine out before, fed it, let it double with the intent on making bread...but for some reason that didn't happen and I just put it back in the fridge fully ripe and ready. If you do this you'll get the alcohol layer on top after about 5 days...but its never a problem. Either is fine...the yeast would probably be happier with a feeding though.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Got it. Thanks.
James

Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I only ever feed mine once - when I want to bake I take half of it out, and feed that bit up for however long needed to make bread, the other half I feed seperately and put right back into the fridge to keep for next week... and that also means I never throw any of it out.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I think I have come up with a strategy. My goal is always to make great and not totally trash the kitchen. I am making the Hamelman Miche today, from a feeding yesterday. I pulled out 220gr of starter (100gr flour and 120gr water). After I made my bread, I added 50gr of flour and 60gr of water to the starter and put it back in the refrigerator. Then, the next time I make bread, I will build it up with another 50gr of flour and 60gr of water, give it 12-16 hours to build, and remove 220gr for bread. Round and round we go.

There really isn't an extra step to feeding the starter twice -- as I am already making bread and have the flour and scale out on the counter.

Phew. I feel better.
James