Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Fan Pattern

This one tore a little when I was taking it out of the banneton (I'll use more flour next time with a wet dough), and it looked like the start of a fan pattern -- so I went for it. The dough was 800gr (a big loaf), 200gr KA GP and 600 KA whole wheat (no rye, oats or grains), and 70%+ water.

The wetter doughs definitely result in a lower loaf -- though the crumb is very moist and has lots of holes.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Fan Pattern-img_1527.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Fan Pattern

Very nice. I like the fan shape- great way to disguise a problem! I am impressed with the color you get. Was it regular KA whole wheat or the white whole wheat? I think I get better color with the regular.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice work in my book. I'll bet it tasted great! Perhaps a banneton with a fern shape inside might recreate this pretty loaf every time.

-
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
I am impressed with the color you get. Was it regular KA whole wheat or the white whole wheat? I think I get better color with the regular.
Regular KA whole wheat. I pretty much only blend in the white whole wheat with other flours -- I figure if I'm going to make whole wheat bread, it might as well be the real deal. I think it does give better color.
James

Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Regular KA whole wheat. I pretty much only blend in the white whole wheat with other flours -- I figure if I'm going to make whole wheat bread, it might as well be the real deal. I think it does give better color.
James
Health wise, IMHO anything that says only "wheat" should be suspect marketing...unless it say's 100% whole wheat, then it's good stuff!

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

KA white whole wheat IS 100% whole wheat. Just from a different variety of wheat. Texture's a little different too, I'd say it's milled differently.

I've been mixing it when I do a multigrain too- I just like the plain whole wheat's looks, even though I don't think it rises quite as well.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
KA white whole wheat IS 100% whole wheat. Just from a different variety of wheat. Texture's a little different too, I'd say it's milled differently.

I've been mixing it when I do a multigrain too- I just like the plain whole wheat's looks, even though I don't think it rises quite as well.
Exactly!
James