Old 08-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Extra pizza dough

One more thing.

I made a lot of extra pizza dough yesterday, and ended up with seven extra dough balls -- enough for at least 2 (maybe three) focaccia for dinner over the next few days. I'm storing the dough in the refrigerator, and going to bring it out as I need it.

I'm thinking of doing this every time we make pizza.

Do other folks do that?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Extra pizza dough

James:

We do it all the time. We have a two 9 x 16 baking pans that came with plastic lids, Chef Phil keeps 6 dough balls in each pan. We keep the dough ready to go in the fridge and pull it out about 30 mins before we use it. The most we have pushed it the dough was 5 days old, but I think we could have gone to the 7 day mark. Here in the northeast it is not uncommon to find fresh dough in the supermarket who know how old that is by the time it is before come home (and its nasty!!!).

Tonight we had 3 dough balls left over and he made rolls, they came out fine.

Malinda

Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've taken to making Calzone with all the leftovers, baking them in the cooling oven and reheating them (or it) a couple of days later. Its got so that we get really upset if there aren't any leftovers...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Can you put a Calzone in your kid's school lunch to eat cold?
James

Old 08-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well you could, except Swiss kids come home for lunch (and Swiss moms are expected to stay home to cook said lunch).

And anyway my kids won't touch most of the things I like best in Calzone: salami, mushrooms, broccoli, sweet corn, onion rings, leek (as well as ham, tomatoes, parmesan, mozzarella) ... mmmm, getting hungry just thinking about it!

But appart from that I think it'd be great as a cold lunch. I'd eat it!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Master Builder

James
Cold calzone in a lunch!!! I would have loved that! Definitely! We use leftover dough as preferment for bread baking...easy easy as it is already scaled.

Frances
You made me hungry too! Leeks and corn in a calzone...great idea...lets add some potatoes and it would be like soup in a bread bowl...only better!!!
Best
Dutch
Old 08-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
You made me hungry too! Leeks and corn in a calzone...great idea...lets add some potatoes and it would be like soup in a bread bowl...only better!!!
Best
Dutch
That reminds me. I had a great Cornish Pasty in Oxford over summer vacation -- award-winning, there was a line, and they were excellent. I had the veggie.
James

Old 08-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Do other folks do that?
James
I let it set in the fridge until it blows!

hahah

I guess the next one I should use for a sour dough starter......

My costs:

My pics:

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Apprentice

Another good use for leftover pizza dough is "pizza fritta" or "dough boys". Just take the dough stretch it a bit so it is about the size of your hand and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch tick; fry it either in a deep fryer or a deep fry pan with an inch or two of oil, fry on both sides till golden brown. Take out of the oil and drain on a few sheets of paper towel, while still hot sprinkle a good amount of plain white sugar. Yumo!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Journeyman

Oh man, I hadn't even considered making pasties! That might win over my Father in law (from the UP). Right now he just thinks I'm loony.