Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Serf

Default English Yorkshire Pudding

Has anyone tried making yorkshire pudding in the wood fired oven? Would love to do it to accompany my rib of beef.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: English Yorkshire Pudding

We do it all the time, as you know the pan must be oiled and smoking hot for it to work.
We use small patty pans, they seem to work the best.
Attached Thumbnails
English Yorkshire Pudding-dscn0933_01.jpg   English Yorkshire Pudding-pud10.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-15-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Serf

Thanks for that do you cook them in the centre or the front of the oven. Any hints on temperature.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Usually right near the flame, puds like it hot to cook, you have to rotate the pan often though.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Peasant

I tried some yorkshire puddings in the wfo for the first time last week. The oven was at about 600 degrees (F) with a small open flame (roasting environment). I used a muffin tin. Heat the fat in the pan before adding the batter. I turned the pan every 7-8 mins or so and they cooked up great!

We don't cook YP in the states very often, and it was the first time my kids had tried it. They loved em. Reminded me of my days in Cheltenham...
Old 12-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You have to have lashings of gravy too....

Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Serf

Thanks guys will try it out when the oven is lit, probably next week. Have a great Christmas.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Laborer

The American version of Yorkshire Pudding is the Popover. They are both made in a very similar fashion with the essential difference, as far as I can tell, being the Popover rises rapidly into a hollow balloon and holds that shape while Yorkshire Pudding is intended to collapse. Since my experience with Yorkshire Pudding is limited to a few attempts on my own, I will defer to those forum members with more knowledge and experience on the subject. Sadly, I have never had an authentic Yorkshire Pudding made by someone that knows what they are about.

It occurs to me that since Popovers are served the moment they are removed from the oven (usually with butter - lots of butter!!), the only difference may be that Popovers don't have the time to collapse. It could be that a Popover would be a Yorkshire Pudding if given a little more time to droop.

Does anyone know both of these items well enough to comment on the differences?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Serf

Hi Thanks for that. English Yorkshire pudding is served with meat and gravy whilst a popover sounds more like a pancake or waffle if it has butter with it. What do you usually serve a popover with?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Laborer

Hi, Annesteph

Am I correct that English Yorkshire Pudding is a side dish sort of like potatoes or rice? Popovers are served like bread and are eaten out of hand. In my family when I was growing up they were typically a breakfast item served with butter and jam. I occasionally serve them with the evening meal now.

Alton Brown has a good basic recipe on foodnetwork.com here:Alton Brown's Popover recipe. The picture with that recipe is the classic popover. It shows the popovers as they are baked in a special popover pan that allows maximum heat transfer. The ingredients are very basic - flour, eggs, milk, salt. Some butter for greasing the pan. The trick is getting the batter consistency just right and having a good hot oven.

If you click over to Paula Deen's recipe on foodnetwork.com you will see a picture of popovers with depressed tops . My mother would have thrown those away in disgust, but when that happens to me I eat them anyway. They are still good. I may just start calling them Yorkshire Pudding when they don't stand up right!

Popovers can be baked in muffin tins very successfully, although they won't rise quite as high. I hope you will try them. I'll bet they are fantastic with clotted cream!

Bob