Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Bread with haselnuts and bread with oats

One thing about Swiss bread is that its very good...

So the main motivation for making homemade bread is being able to experiment and that it costs less. Oh, and my never-ending quest to get my children to eat a varied diet.

So here are two tin-baked loaves of bread with ground haselnuts included in the dough - a very tasty addition as it turns out. Especially when toasted.

And some twisty-shaped rolls with added oats (but none sprinkled on top, so no-one notices until they've admitted it tastes good..). These were less unusual but also very good.

The flour for both was half unbleached and half wholemeal.
Attached Thumbnails
Bread with haselnuts and bread with oats-stuff-004.jpg   Bread with haselnuts and bread with oats-stuff-002.jpg  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Bread with haselnuts and bread with oats

Great looking bread Frances. I love hazelnut bread

Are you able to eat all those loaves? I end up giving it away much of the time as it doesn't seem to store well without all those yummy preservatives.
G.

-
Old 01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

YUM Frances!

You are doing some really awesome baking!

I can't wait to try the hazel nut bread.

Do you have a recipe?
And do you think pecans could sub for hazel nuts?

Thanks,

DAve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Journeyman

Ok Frances, your pictures of your baking has inspired me to continue and get this thing built - in spite of the wicked wind.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you everyone!

George, we cut all our bread up into daily portions and freeze it - thats also why I end up making so many rolls rather than loaves of bread - easier to portion out. Bread may loose in the freezing, but its just the way all my family likes it.

Lake, go for it! These ovens are really increadibly cool

Dave, here you go. I'm sure pecans would be a great substitute, let me know how it turns out. Come to think of it, they make bread with whole walnuts in which is also very nice.

500 g unbleached flour
500 g wholemeal flour
3 teasp salt
Hazelnuts, I just tipped the jar up, but probably around 150 - 200g
42 g fresh yeast
7 dl of water (thats 700 g)

Knead the dough, leave to rise until doubled, put in an oiled bread baking tin and leave to rise again, brush milk on top and sprinkle with flour, then bake at about 230 C for about 1/2 an hour.

Well, I would have baked it longer at a lower heat, but the oven cooled slower than I thought...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Frances,

That's fresh yeast? Not instant ... right?

For a recipe with flours at that weight I normally would use about 5 or 6 grams of instant yeast.
Does that sound about right to you?

Thanks!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sure, that sounds about right. Just use whatever you usually use for 1 kg of flour.

I still buy the prepacked stuff, so I just put in whatevers in the packet, weather its fresh or instant. I must really look into buying bulk sometime...
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Master Builder

Dave, Frances
You might want to think of using a preferment and splitting the yeast between the two...the instant yeast in that amount may give the bread a bit of a yeasty taste...unless that is something you want with it...sometimes it is a good thing!!!
Dutch
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Peasant

Frances,
Your bread looks delicious. I have hazelnut trees and harvest the hazelnuts. Did you roast the hazelnuts before using them in your bread? Is the wholemeal flour an oat flour or something else? I make a multi-grain bread with walnuts and raisins which friends and family like very much. I tried pecans and raisins and just plain pecans in the multi-grain bread; they didn't taste as good as walnuts.
Richard

Last edited by MoonshineBaker; 02-01-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added information after reading other posts
Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you Richard
The hazel nuts are from the shop in a packet ... I'm pretty sure they're not roasted though. The wholmeal flour is wheat flour - oats sounds nice though, too.

Walnuts and raisins, mmmm, I'm sure I'd like that - I wonder if my family would eat it...?