Old 11-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Boule - first effort

With all you guys discussing grignes and lames and docking and etc... well I decided to try to expand my sourdough repetoire a bit. So here's a first effort at the boule from the FB e-book - the two loaves at the front. Not quite like in the book, but they could be a lot worse.

On day one the dough wouldn't rise for ages - after 7 hours I got fed up and put them into the baskets and directly into the fridge. On day two I took them out of the fridge really early to give them another good 4 hours, and of course then they over-riz ... and a sharper docking knife might be a good idea, too. I can't wait to see what the crumb looks like though!

In the background there are three loaves of pumpkin bread made with baker's yeast (on the left) and four loaves of my regular sourdough bread - with higher hydration than usual. Lets see what difference that makes...

Oh btw, for those of you planning on getting an Electrolux dough mixer, it works really well for wetter doughs.
Attached Thumbnails
Boule - first effort-mosaiks13-008.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Boule - first effort

Frances, we should all be so proficient on our first tries! Way to go. I have an 83% hydration whole wheat Miche going today. 60% whole wheat, 20% bread flour, 20% rye. We'll see how it goes.
James

Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ok, here are pictures of the crumb on all three breads - Boule, sourdough and pumpkin in that order...

The sourdough has the largest holes I've ever managed in bread so far, so wetter dough seems the way to go. Any other ideas? I'm thinking maybe the flour they sell here just doesn't rise very much... ther's not much choice actually, so maybe I'll go shopping in Germany and see what kinds of flour they have.

I've tried adding ascorbic acid and/or some malt sugar stuff, but it doesn't make much of a difference. And changing the rising times doesn't make much of a difference that I can tell either. One thing I think I'll try is feeding up the sourdough starter for longer before adding it to the dough.

The standard sourdough bread is still our favourite, although all three taste very nice. BUT I just want to manage to bake bread with bigger holes in it! Just to show I can...So, any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Boule - first effort-crumb-001.jpg   Boule - first effort-crumb-005.jpg   Boule - first effort-crumb-006.jpg  

Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Master Builder

Way to go...those look very appetizing...the ascorbic acid would really not change anything proofing wise...it is somewhat of a dough conditioner and gives the bread just a bit of a tang...the malt powder/syrup is pretty much the same seems to "shorten" the gluten strands....and it helps in giving a nice caramel color to the crust...something most loaves from a WFO don't need help with...we add it to our pane italiano but that's about it
Best
Dutch
Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Apprentice

Very nice Frances!. My only suggestion would be to try and cut the dough in a semi-circle around the top. Your slash marks would be part of the finished design. Looks great.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Boules, the second...

This time I used my regular sourdough recipe with 40 % starter (it being quite cold around here), but with overnight retardation in the baskets. The same thing happened as last time: although I only took the boules out of the fridge directly before baking, they had overrisen and collapsed as I tried to slash them (in a semi circle, thank you for pointing that out krosskraft!) I'm guessing that 40% starter is too much for such a long rising time even if they were in the fridge - that just doesn't seem to stop the yeast once it gets going...

I also tried some Ciabatta for the first time. Heh heh, yup that's some wet dough allright. Not perfect, it should have gone in a hotter oven, but look at all those little holes! It tasted really nice, too, so that's definitely something I'll be trying again.
Attached Thumbnails
Boule - first effort-chimney1-005.jpg   Boule - first effort-chimney1-009.jpg   Boule - first effort-chimney1-006.jpg  

Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Keep going France -- this is look good!

The Hamelman book has a wide range of sourdough recipes, but the basic white sourdough calls for 15% pre-fermented flour, the wholewheat multigrain has 12%, the Miche 20% and the 5-grain has 25%.

I've decided to calculate back the flour and water in my starter, and try to get close to the right amount of starter. I have 120% hydration for my wet starter, so I use 220gr of starter (100 gr flour and 120 gr water) in a 500gr batch -- which is 20%.

My guess is that if you use a larger % of pre-fermented starter to flour you will have a faster rise, but less structure for a longer rise.

What do you think?

Pro bakers, what do you think?
James

Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think your ciabatta looks great- nice shine inside those holes!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Master Builder

They look great to me - good job!
You're making me realize that I've got to find some time to get back to bread-making too.

Sarah
Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
My guess is that if you use a larger % of pre-fermented starter to flour you will have a faster rise, but less structure for a longer rise.

What do you think?

Pro bakers, what do you think?
James
Bread looks great Frances!
Frances, James.....
so many variables...keep working at it and you will figure out which f them produces the result you want...as far as the starter percentage I think it depends on quite a few things as well...we have made a purely wild yeasted bread with as much as a 50% ratio of starter to flour and a retarded proof...for simpler preferments(biga, etc) we have started to use a lower percentage in the final dough(closer to equal to flour weight when before it was 1.5 or 1.6 times the flour weight)...I think that a greater % of starter will make for a great bread with a long shelf life and great moisture...therefore I would advocate for higher amounts in your bread as much as you can and still be able to control proofing...that said the temperature of your fridge for that final proof is a key variable...bake, bake, bake until that great confluence of variables arrives together in perfect form...then try to remember exactly what you did to make it happen...
What do you thin CJim?
Best
Dutch