Old 12-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Baguette videos

Here are two more. This becoming quite a collection:

http://www.fornobravo.com/video/baguette_shaping1.mov
http://www.fornobravo.com/video/baguette_shaping2.mov

Enjoy,
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Baguette Videos

James,

The dough shown here will be described in the upcoming bread baking section, but I thought to anticipate a few questions here. This is a lean French bread dough made with pate fermentee, so it shapes easily and well. It's important to use the dough cutter like a pincer, not a saw, so the dough is not deflated. The cut pieces are turned over and a sort of valley made down the center, so that when the two edges are pinched together the tops of the loaves have sufficient surface tension for a proper rise. The floured cloth is called a couche, and the folds form walls so the dough rises upwards, rather than spreads outwards. The finished baguette are shown, among other breads, in the Bake Day picture in the Gallery.

Working on the sound issue, guys, honest.

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Journeyman

Default need some sound advice.

Where do I send the mp3 files guys?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Nick, you can send them to me (james@fornobravo.com). Thanks!

I think Jim and I have a digital camcorder (with mic) on our Xmas list, which will get us back into the talkies.

James

Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default One more thing

Voiceover aside, don't you think Jim's videos are just great? I am learning just as I publish them. Excellent.
Thanks Jim!
James

Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Apprentice

Thanks to both of you for providing these instrcutional videos. May be enough for me to go out and get a spiral mixer.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Videos

All,

Thanks for the comments. I'm touched, and I mean that. I'll keep them coming if they're helpful, and it seems they are. Just want to get the quality up, but, for me, a still camera guy, the learning curve is somewhat steep. I'd be more than pleased to field questions about these silent versions. Next up will be forming rolls, though the surface tension mantra remains the same.

Perhaps there might be some requests for specific and problematic techniques? I could try to address those if the need arises.

Actually, this is fun for me. I really like the hands on part, mortar to dough.

Jim
Old 12-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Mixing wet dough by hand

How about something on mixing wet dough by hand. What's the best way to keep it from sticking, without adding too much flour back into the dough -- where it gets too stiff?
James

Old 03-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Baguette videos

James,

Missed this post from you. I'll add a mixing wet dough video to the list. Have you seen the general intro piece Wendy and I made? Not sure about the sound quality, but maybe it can be bumped or cleaned or something by somebody like Nick.

Jim
Old 03-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Baguette videos

LOL,
After editing the cookbook, I can't see anything. My eyes are swimming around.

The last video I rec'd from you was peels.zip on 2/18. Is there a new video I have missed?

btw -- your technique on mixing wet dough in the bowl before kneading was perfect.
James