Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Baguette Recipe

After a serious few hours splitting well seasoned wood yesterday, I ran a couple of test pizzas through the WFO and decided to make a couple of baguettes to test my 290C heated oven from yesterday.

Recipe for those who may want to give it a go (round off as necessary):

Item -- Weight(g) -- %
Flour -- 295.9 -- 100.0%
Water -- 192.3 -- 65.0%
Salt -- 5.9 -- 2.0%
Yeast -- 5.9 -- 2.0%

Combine all ingredients using mixer. Cover and proof on bench for 90 mins. Shape as per video, proof after shaping for 1 hour. Slash with blade.
Bake in 290C oven for 20-30 mins. Add ice blocks/water to oven for additional steam for spring and crispness.

Video: Traditional French Baguettes on Vimeo

Adapted from The Fresh Loaf recipe.

Enjoy!!

Last edited by heliman; 12-14-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Baguette Recipe

Thanks for the recipe! I'll give it a go. I am just starting to bake bread in my oven & was looking for an easy recipe. I guess "easy" is subjective. I have the FB Bread baking file and was going to start with the Whole Wheat Loaf first and then make my way towards baguettes. I need to work on my oven door first.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good luck with your baking.

I made 6 loaves today and all came out very well. It may be worth tweaking the recipe a bit in terms of the the hydration. I upped mine a bit to mirror the consistency of the dough in the video.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Serf

nice job. recipe looks good.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Apprentice

Here's another baguette formula (attached as a pdf for 6 baguettes) that uses both a levain and a poolish component. (My sourdough is named Chef Bill - pun intended. Note that in doing the levain, I always make sure Bill is active before proceeding.)

I make between 12-18 baguettes with this formula every Friday I'm home and it hasn't failed me yet. I purchase the pale (6-row) malt grain at a brewery supply and run it through my spice grinder to produce a nice flour texture. Although some folks think the enzymes provided by the malt grains are overkill, I really think they add a nice dimension of flavor to the finished product. Frankly, I've started adding it to all my breads for that reason. My base flour is Harvest King (the 50# sack name for Gold Medal, Better for Bread flour). Hope the pdf of my spreadsheet makes sense...
Attached Thumbnails
Baguette Recipe-dsc06217_sm2.jpg   Baguette Recipe-dsc06219_sm2.jpg   Baguette Recipe-dsc06216a_sm2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BillyBaguette6.pdf (22.3 KB, 55 views)
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SableSprings; 12-16-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Serf

i am getting concerned that none of my postings or even the reply s are being posted at all.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFearHydroGardens View Post
i am getting concerned that none of my postings or even the reply s are being posted at all.
CapeFearHG, your duplicate threads (one in "Hearth & flatbreads" and one in "What I cooked last night") both posted fine. I'm a little unclear about your concern...relax, not every posting or thread gets an immediate response or member following.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Heliman
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Serf

i was merely concerned because when i clicked on my own name it still said i have zero postings. I am glad to know it worked that's all I am on another forum and it seems that that forum is completely dead so my concern was that this is an old forum that has run it course so to speak. i am very glad to know it is alive and well. I have learned a lot from this forum and i wished to contribute to sort of pay it forward so to speak. thanks for replying