Old 09-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Peasant

Default Yeasty flavor

I have been using the forno Bravo recipe for dough only using 1/2 AP and 1/2 bread flour at 65% hydration with the amount of yeast in the recipe my dough comes out tasting quite yeasty almost unpleasantly so this with only the 1/2 tsp recomended in the recipe. At this point I am still cooking on firebrick in my gas oven at about 550 degrees. Any thoughts??
Old 09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Yeasty flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreed View Post
I have been using the forno Bravo recipe for dough only using 1/2 AP and 1/2 bread flour at 65% hydration with the amount of yeast in the recipe my dough comes out tasting quite yeasty almost unpleasantly so this with only the 1/2 tsp recomended in the recipe. At this point I am still cooking on firebrick in my gas oven at about 550 degrees. Any thoughts??
So you provided the formula for your bread but what is also important is the recipe. How long and at what temp did you have the water, how long and at what temp did it ferment, was it bulk or in balls and when did you form the balls, etc. etc.

I do a 48 hour cold ferment after 1 hour of bench time dough temp after mixing 80f, stretch and folds every 8 hours, balled 12 hours before use and benched as balls for 2 hours before use.

Formula 800g Dakota maid bread flour, 480g water, 1 tsp active dry yeast, 2 tsp salt, 2 tbs evoo.

Kitchenaid mixer spiral dough hook, water first usually 74f, add yeast mix speed 1 for 1 minute mixer adds 6 degrees due to friction, add flour and salt, salt forked into flour, mix for 1 minute speed 1, add evoo. Mix for 4 more minutes speed 1, bulk bench in covered bowl for 1 hour, see above for rest of recipe.

Chip
Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Peasant

OK here's a little more info. The water was at room temp. about 70 degrees let rise until doubled at room temp. Then formed balls and put in fridge for later use. The dough was in bulk. for the doubling.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeast will consume sugars and produce CO2 and alcohol. Time, temperature and amount of food available (sugars) will be ther determining factors on how the yeast will grow.

the less yeast you use the longer your ferment. or you can add sugars and heat to a point. try doing a shorter bench time before putting the bulk into the fridge, and the balling just before final rise, do several stretch and folds to the ball of dough while cold to aid in gluten development.

you will notice a considerable amount of window pane development after about 4 stretch and folds. even while cold.

Chip