Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Laborer

Default Roman pizza

Ok guys, seriously...

I love Vera Pizza Napoletana. The pillowy balance between crust and crumb. The soupy middle. The perfect melding of simple ingredients.

But I love Pizza Romana more. I just can't seem to capture it in the States, and I'm not talking pizza al taglio. I'm talking WFO cooked, thin, crispy yet creamy, Roman pizza. I've seen it hundreds of times. I've eaten it dozens of times. I can't catch that lightning in a bottle.

I've used regular Napoletana dough. I've enriched it with 4% olive oil. I've rolled it with a rolling pin. I've used a dryer dough. I've used a wetter dough. I've backed my oven off for a 3-4 minute pizza. I've juiced it up for a 90 second pizza. Nothing works!

Either the crust is too tough, or too bready, or just not thin and crispy enough. In the Roman pizza that I've eaten, the cornicione feels like one large bubble ringing a soft but not wet pizza base. Not bready, and certainly not soupy. The crust on the cornicione has an audible snap to it when you cut it with your fork, but there aren't layers of soft (and yes, delicious) bread underneath it. Just a crunchy light puff.

I can't figure out how to do this, and I've been trying for years. My recent trip to Rome only strengthened my resolve to make it happen.

Ideas?

Stan