Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Peasant

Default Question about dough capacities

I just grabbed a gently used Hobart A200 today as I have long ago outgrown my kitchenaid. I am curous about the dough capacities though as I seem to be getting a lot of conflicting information. On one hand, I can look at Hobart's specs about my mixer and see that it can take about 20lbs of 60% AR dough. However, I have seen Tom Lehmann recommending that 20qt mixers should only be used with 5lbs of pizza flour or 8lbs of dough.

Taking one look at the machines, there is absolutely no comparison between them, the hobart is a massive tank that noiselessly rotates the hook about the bowl while mixing without flinching under any sort of load. The KA will sputter and groan and make loud noises with as little as 1lb of pizza dough and I hear people talking about putting 3x that much through. On the other hand, is my new behemoth only supposed to be able take 1 measly 5 lb bag of pizza flour at a time?
Attached Thumbnails
Question about dough capacities-hobart-kitchenaid-2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Question about dough capacities

My Hobart knock off states that 3Kgs of flour is the limit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Master Builder

I can get 5kg of dough going in mine, that's 80% hydrated dough

Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Peasant

So is there a reason Hobart's specs can't be followed? It isn't like I am using this machine 3x a day to make dough, maybe once every week or two.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Master Builder

Not sure...... Looking at my unit the weakest points would be the motor. It has a 2 stage (start and run windings) so the run winding is triggered by a centrifugal switch, once the torque goes up and it starts to stall I can hear the centrifugal switch back to the start winding......so at this point I jump straight to turning it off.
Not that I'm encouraging anyone to do this but I did rebuild it myself in the first place.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Peasant

I just loaded 10lbs of dough into it last night, it never flinched, I am going to try 15lbs next week, we'll see how it goes, I'd like to get 20lbs of 65% AR dough in it.