Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Apprentice

Default Pizza in Woodside, Australia

We fired up again tonight - pizza 2 nights in a row, now that's decadent

I took a lot of pics along the way this time. Better find a more appropriate forum to post them after this I guess

We went out today and got some nice dry redgum branches. Having some older wood definitely made a difference. There was almost no smoke out the front, the chimney drew really well this time. The pizzas were much better after a longer rise.

I knocked up a quick door this morning too so I could bake some bread. It is just pine plank, and I soaked it in water for a few hours before cooking to stop it spontaneously combusting. No signs of charring but I'm not sure how long it will hold its shape.

The bread came out pretty well but I did cook it a bit hot. It was cooked in about 10 minutes. I think I will have to spend some time adapting to baking in the WFO before I get it just right.
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-2.jpg   Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-3.jpg   Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-4.jpg   Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-5.jpg   Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-6.jpg  

Old 12-07-2008, 04:41 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Tims oven - early days!

More pics - I committed the cardinal sin and cut open the funniest shaped loaf straight out of the oven to try it. Lovely drizzled with little olive oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-7.jpg   Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-8.jpg   Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-9.jpg   Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-10.jpg   Pizza in Woodside, Australia-cooking-1-1-11.jpg  

Old 12-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Master Builder

great looking pies!!!! The one with onions looked especially good! I'll take two, please.

Bread looks great - especially for a first try! Mine taste good but never seem to look good.

I love the big fire pics, too

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christo; 12-07-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 AM
Apprentice

The bread tasted pretty nice, and my coworkers were impressed enough. To be honest, one of the loaves exploded into some kind of bizarre mutant but I just hid that bit when I took the photo

I could really get used to this lifestyle... I got home from work and fired up the oven, called up my gfs brother and his partner and they came around for a couple of pizzas, steak grilled over coals raked to the front, then a beer can chicken with rosemary and some potatoes. Heavens to betsy that tasted good. I finished off by roasting some capsicums for pizzas or something later in the week. Burrrrp!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Laborer

Tim you are making me so JEALOUS........Hope you enjoyed it all, I bet your family did !!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Pizza in Woodside, Australia

Hey Tim,

This is looking so good. Way to go; you are definitely getting the hang of this. :-)

One small thing -- when you build up a really big bed of coals, and you are mostly cooking pizza (and the coals keep spilling out on the cooking floor), you can shovel a lot of those coals out. Just keep feeding the fire to keep a nice big flame!

Oh, and one more thing. Never cut into a warm loaf again (hah hah).
James

Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the tip! I'm on the lookout for fire-tending implements; a long handled shovel will go on the list I think.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Laborer

Hi Tim, i just purchased a small ash shovel from Bunnings and attached a long wooden handle to it (also from Bunnings) It seems quite hard to find these tools in Australia.
Your Pizzas look great! I'll be doing me first ever pizzas next weekend i think.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pizza in Woodside, Australia

Good one Tim,
now you'll be scouring those back roads and calling in to farmers to clean up all that fallen wood that might be a hazard to their stock eh?
We have friends at Charleston with numerous fallen trees on their dairy property that I got the odd load of wood.
Great pizzas, and max use of the heat. Guess you'll get to use more of the heat to dry your oversupplied vegies, herbs and not so dry firewood.
It is hard with that smell of fresh bread, not to cut and enjoy it whilst it is hot. Guilty as charged an every occasion!

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hi Tim, i just purchased a small ash shovel from Bunnings and attached a long wooden handle to it (also from Bunnings) It seems quite hard to find these tools in Australia.
Your Pizzas look great! I'll be doing me first ever pizzas next weekend i think.
Excellent idea - I'm visiting the hardware shop today with some xmas vouchers so I will keep a lookout for something similar. I need to find a wire brush with a wooden handle as well.

Good luck with your pizzas!

Neil - I certainly have been busy 'cleaning up the roadsides'