Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

View Poll Results: How do you store your dough balls overnight?
In a proofing tray 6 21.43%
In individual Tupperware containers (with lid) 16 57.14%
In individual ziplock baggies 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Overnight Dough Ball Storage

How do you store your pizza dough balls overnight? It a good thing to do, giving you more complex flavour, better browning and blistering and the dough is easier to control and work with. The only downside is that you have to be organized enough to start your dough the day before. :-)

How do you store your dough balls in the refrigerator?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 06-19-2007 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Overnight Dough Ball Storage

I purchased 15 or so of the cheap glad storage containers - perfect for this.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Journeyman

This answer is on other thread too (James, please choose which one is the best to maintain it)
The professional operators use the stacked or cross-stacked trays, since they have big thermal cameras and a lot of free space.
Any one of these could maintain from 9 to 16 individual pizza dough in it.
Because the number of backed pizzas by hour they need the effectiveness of the tray.
For the home bakers, the round containers helps to maintain the roundness of the dough, however, the containers need more space than the ziplock bags.
I had used either ziplock or containers depending on the quantity of dough to be used and the resting mode. Few dough = container, more than six or eight dough = ziplock when using refrigerator.
When the rest is at ambient temperature (same day pizzas, resting 12/24 hs) I prefer to use containers.
Few dough, same day resting, the balls are arranged over a wood table (wood to maintain the circumferential shape – in granite or ceramic or plastic, the dough slide to flat) and are covered with plastic wrap or humid cloth (depending the local wheater)

Luis
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Master Builder

I have just one proofing tray with the lid...fits in the fridge and works well sitting on the table next to the cool marble slab
Dutch
Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Where to you buy a proofing tray?
James

Old 06-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

James,

Proofing trays are available from commercial pizza supply companies. That's where I got mine. They're also called bus tubs.

Jim
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 AM
Master Builder

I've now got into the habit of making the dough the day before. Once at ball stage it then goes into the bottom of my beer fridge(in container)
That just gave me a thought.......I have used beer (instead of water) in my damper (Coopers has lots of yeast)........I wonder if that would work in pizza dough.....mmm...

Ok, back to the topic
To store the balls themselves I use a large square tupperware container that is quite deep, and it holds 2 layers of 4 balls per layer (total of 8 balls). I use some cling wrap to seperate the two layers and I tuck it down the side of each ball on that layer (except for the containers sides).
So far it works but its a bit fiddly.
Bus tubs sounds good....you guys got any pics - not sure what they are called them down here....pls.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Damon,

Here's a link for one site of many where you can get bus tubs http://www.sfbi.com/baking_supplies.htmls:

The attached pic is a thumbnail from that site. It's not all that clear, but I hope you get the idea. Good thing about these is that they're designed to be stackable in the fridge.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Overnight Dough Ball Storage-bus_tub.jpg  

Last edited by CanuckJim; 06-20-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Journeyman

Hey Jim you beat me to it..
Here is another style I have used. these nest inside eachother one way and the other way stack to hold the dough. Your suggestion is definalty the way to go for the home frig as these are about twice the size of a bus tub. But I thought id post this anyway. The old version of these were out of wood and many are still in use today.
Attached Thumbnails
Overnight Dough Ball Storage-871-001.jpg  
Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Journeyman

Baking supplies from the San Francisco Baking Institute - Baking and Pastry Arts School for Professionals and Enthusiasts

Last edited by PizzaPolice; 06-20-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Fixed URL for Canuck's bus tubs