Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Peasant

Question Leftover Pizza Dough as Preferment?

Since I've gotten my WFO, I find that I am constantly making pizza dough to have on hand to make pizza whenever the urge hits. I think the dough tastes better after a day or more in the fridge. I'm wondering if anyone has taken a dough ball that has been in the fridge for 3 or 4 days and added it to a new batch of dough to add additional flavor, much in the way a pate fermentť is used to make artisan breads.
Ron
Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Leftover Pizza Dough as Preferment?

I don't think that would be a bad thing at all...so long as there isn't any funny smell to it or off color. I generally would not keep a pate' fermentee' in the fridge for more than 3 days or so and still use it. I have considered using a preferment in pizza dough but, have not as of yet.
Let us know how it comes out!
Best
Dutch
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Journeyman

A resounding YES!!!
There are a lot of bakers and pizzaiolos who do this to ensure a consistent batch.
I use a preferment exclusively for Neapolitan and for NY street style pizza.
No commercial yeast. You can use any type from S.F. sourdough to Camaldoli.
I absolutely love pizza crust, especially the bones. Sourdough strains impart a wonderful aroma and taste that commercial yeast lacks.

Experiment and have fun with it.
PizzaPolice
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

PP,

A resounding second from here. Any dough will benefit from a preferment, even one made with commercial yeast. A sourdough infusion is the best way to get max flavor, bar none.

Jim
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Journeyman

YES! I do this often and find it quite successfull.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Leftover Pizza Dough as Preferment?

Hi crew,
any left over dough at our house is eaten raw by my future son in law. But then again, he would eat from an Afghan camel driver's undies when hungry. We are traditionally from a family of large eaters but I have broken the pould but the kids seem to continue the tradition. They also have taken up the beer and wine with pizza habbit.
I will have to sneak some extra away out of sight to try these ideas.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Apprentice

Is there a ratio of how much 'old dough' you mix with the 'new dough"
is it a 1:1 ration or something like 5:1
Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
Hi crew,
he would eat from an Afghan camel driver's undies when hungry.
Neill
........I was just reading another posting about growing culture and then I read this...........

Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Journeyman

Only a small amount or a hunk will do. Once it's mixed up it will, for lack of a better word, inoculate the whole batch.
Oh yeah. Old dough from commercial yeast is also desirable. That's why I mentioned bakers. What you are looking for is the yeast at the end of it's production where it has consumed most of the starch/sugars and imparted the sour taste you are looking for. The old dough serves that purpose.
Have fun with it.
PizzaPolice.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Master Builder

Most baker's formulas with a preferment such as pate' fermentee call for the amount of preferment to be about 1.6 times the flour weight, some italian recipes call for the amount to be about 1.7 time the flour weight. Smaller amounts are OK but their addition to the flavor is limited and their contribution of yeast will also be limited. I think you would have to "spike" the dough with a bit of yeast to be able to use the "new" dough in a reasonable enough amount of time. Remember to account for the hydration level of your preferment when creating the new batch.
Best
Dutch
P.S. Damon that is pretty scary. Think about this though, the origin of steak tartare comes from an eastern european barbarian tribe possibly Huns, sometimes called tartars. Their warriors used to cure their raw cuts of meat under their saddles for as much as a day's ride.