Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default How Big Can You Go

Here's a question. We made pizza this weekend for a neighborhood party, and I made 18 270 gr dough balls. They were all pretty much the same weight (I used a scale) and the dough was the same, as I blended three 1kg batches together.

One thing that was interesting was the huge variation is pizza size that different people made from the same basic dough ball.

I feel a competition coming how. How large of a pizza (inches in diameter) can you make with a 270 gr dough ball? Holes not allowed. The huge pizza on the cover of the FB Wood-Fired Pizza eBook is from Pellone in Naples, and they said the dough ball was 280 gr. That's one great pizza from 280 gr.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: How Big Can You Go

Does it have to be round?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I made a football.

Any takers on this one. I think it can be instructive trying to get that big, thin pizza.

James

Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Journeyman

I'm game... but my input will have to wait until next pizza session. I neither scale my dough or measure my (generally speaking) round pies. Most often, though, I make them 12.17 to 13.24 inches in diameter. I generally try for about 113 square inches. Any bigger and the crust is too thin for my liking.

Last edited by BrianShaw; 05-28-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Serf

pizzas here in brazil are 8 piece 32cm....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Ah, but how large is the dough ball? There are two sides to this equation -- you have to maximize your pizza size using a consistent (I think 270 gr is a good size) dough size. :-)

James

Old 05-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ohhhh!!

I can't wait till this weekend.

here's a pizza from a 1600 gram dough ball! click on the top pic all the way on the right

Picasa Web Albums - Dwats - Dough Techniques

does the biggest pie when a prize>?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Master Builder

I think that video of you flinging the dough wins a prize! Cool!!
It also shows me my dough's been way too sticky and I have a lot more to learn about making pizzas.
Thanks for that - it's a big help to see it in motion.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Journeyman

OK, I'm out... someone else will have to win the prize. Inspired by James' question/challenge, made pizza for dinner. For the first time in my life scaled the dough - what a surprise to find my dough balls were about 300 grams. From that the pies were about 28 cm. I could have made bigger but then wouldn't have wanted to eat them.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Apprentice

When you first posted this, I wondered why you didn't just give Dave the prize outright for that video. That's a big hunk of dough. Of course, I guess you actually have to make a pizza out of it...and that was probably a little big for your oven door, eh?