Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

View Poll Results: Have you ever hired a pizza chef for a party
Yes, it was great. I could talk with my guests 0 0%
Yes, but it really didn't work out 0 0%
No, I like doing it all myself 12 85.71%
No, I make my best friend do it 1 7.14%
No, but I think I am going to do it next time 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Have you ever hired a pizza chef?

We are going to be hosting an oven-warming party for the neighborhood in the next couple of weeks, and I'm thinking of hiring someone to actually make the pizzas -- or at least man the oven. Looking back on some of our previous bigger parties, I end up spending all night with my head in the oven, and not talking with the guests.

What do you think? Have you ever hired a pizzaiolo (well, pizza chef)? Where did you find him?

I'm thinking of talking with Oscar, the manager of our local pizzeria (deck oven) to see if one of his guys wants to do it. There is also a wood-fired restaurant in Carmel I am thinking of calling; though I don't know the head of the kitchen.

You can vote in the poll, and I think we are all interested in how folks have managed larger parties.

Thanks!
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Have you ever hired a pizza chef?

I've been thinking of how to reduce my workload for larger parties, but I think I'd pefer to have someone helping whom I know... You'd have to test his or her pizza making skills first, wouldn't you? And maybe discussions on what type of dough to use etc etc.

I was so disapointed with the last Pizzaiolo I watched at a restaurant... I wouldn't have wanted him messing around with my oven!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm not big on large parties, usually limited to 10-15 people, so hiring out any portion does not make sense to me (again, my frugal ways - why pay someone to do something I am capable of). Besides, I love to cook and be in control - socializing is overrated (thats my wife's job). All are free to hang out with me at the oven, but usually only a couple of folks will at any given time (seems they realize too many will be in the way).

A large party would be a different story, don't know what I would do if it HAD to be a pizza party. I, like Frances would have to have someone I know and could trust to do an excellent job (hey, its my reputation on the line); I just don't know anyone in my area that I trust with WF pizza.....the main reason I built my own oven (there isn't a good pizza withing 10 miles of my house).

RT
Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Journeyman

We love to entertain and the best bit is the cooking but sometimes it makes sense logistically to have help. I have never cooked pizza for any large numbers but I would imagine that some kid of assistance would be needed. If it's anything like BBQ's and cook outs there is always a line of folks wanting to help.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James,

My annual Bread Bash is a case in point. Usually, I make all the breads, but that means I don't get to talk to anybody. This year's theme is Italian, and fortunately a fair proportion of the people coming are friends and Italian, so I've put out a call for volunteers to do the pizza shaping and topping. All I plan to do for the pizzas is handle the peel and the baking. All the other breads will be retarded in the fridge, so I can just pop them in when the oven's ready. Not hiring someone, but it's a similar idea.

Jim
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Master Builder

Ahhh Jim! If I could only get to Ontario at that time I would be glad to rub shoulders and be an assistant...sadly I don't think there is much of a chance...
Best
Dutch

James.
Usually, I make all the breads, but that means I don't get to talk to anybody. This year's theme is Italian, and fortunately a fair proportion of the people coming are friends and Italian, so I've put out a call for volunteers to do the pizza shaping and topping. All I plan to do for the pizzas is handle the peel and the baking. All the other breads will be retarded in the fridge, so I can just pop them in when the oven's ready. Not hiring someone, but it's a similar idea.
Jim

Last edited by Dutchoven; 04-08-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: I'm a knucklehead
Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tapa parties have worked well for a big crowd. Ask everyone to bring a favorite dish to share. Last time we took a baked brie....big hit!

It would be very tempting to have a pizza chef for a big party.

I do find that between cooking and filling glasses, you can keep pretty busy

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And CJ, I too would be honored to carry your flour.....

your soux chef Xabia

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Laborer

Just having my immediate family over is 16 (10 grandkids! Not sure how that happened!!) so in addition to anyone else we may invite we are always having a "big party". In the begining I did everything, but now my daughter handles the toppings and the oldest grandson (14 or 15 - I'm losing track ) is getting quite good at making the shells. I do most of the cooking with my son taking over once in a while. I love watching the faces and hearing the comments of someone who has never seen a WFO cook pizza in a minute or two.

Biggest Problem: 14 teenage boys from church that wanted to make Everything Pizza! They just couldn't understand that smaller amounts of only three toppings makes the best pizza. I think that comes from only getting pizza from Dominos their whole life - poor things
Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
My annual Bread Bash is a case in point. Usually, I make all the breads, but that means I don't get to talk to anybody. This year's theme is Italian, and fortunately a fair proportion of the people coming are friends and Italian, so I've put out a call for volunteers to do the pizza shaping and topping.
I'll be the one carrying a sign saying, "Will work for bagels"