Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Serf

Thumbs up Hats off to Molino Caputo Flour

I just wanted to give kudos to Caputo Flour and highly recommend it to anyone in doubt.

I had a Father's day picnic this past Saturday and I used Caputo 00 for the 1st time. Even though I made the mistake of putting my pizza dough balls to close to each other for the 2nd rise and they were a major pain to separate, several of our guests commented on how good the pizza was "especially the crust".
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Hats off to Molino Caputo Flour

Great flour, horrible distribution. Damn near impossible to get in any quantity without incurring huge shipping costs.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I love the stuff. I think I am on my 3rd 50lb bag. My local food distributor carries it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Laborer

I would love to have a blind taste test with different flour. I usually mix all purpose flour with bread flour 1/1 and my guests always compliment the crust, even cooked in a regular oven on a stone (this should change in just 3 days!!!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

To me it is about the hydration. I can get the caputo up to 69% and it can still be handled. I usually go about 67%. I have not used any other flour that lets me add as much water and still be handleable (is that a word?). But any quality flour is going to give great results. Here in Colorado I have some friends who live out in the country where there is a mill. They get the best flour, very cheap, $10 for a 20 lb cloth bag in the local King Soopers! I wish that they stocked it there, but they bring me a bag once in a while. I mostly use it for Foccacia bread, but I bet it would make great pizza dough too...

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM

Why on earth doesn't Caputo sell in five kilo bags? Why don't they have retail distribution?
The only distributor in my state needs cash, exact change, and will only sell on Friday. It's like doing a drug deal.

Somebody in that company should realize that there's a big market for quality specialty foods in the US.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Peasant

I agree!!! it is impossible to find it around here. Anyone who knows where to get it in the Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland area please let me know!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Peasant

Pennsylvania Macaroni Company Located in Pittsburgh. If you don't live near Pittsburgh, their shipping costs are extremely reasonable. Good source for Grande Mozz in 5" bags and lots of Italian Salumi. Great place.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
55lb bag of Caputo flour for me from E&S Food, Elmwood Park, NJ.
Call ahead.
Go Friday.
Take Cash.
Exact change.
Don't expect anything like a retail transaction, unless you are used to dealing with streetcorner psychopharmacologists.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Laborer

Just bought another bag in December from E&S - I had to plead with them to sell it to me on a Thursday, cuz I was leaving to drive back to North Carolina on Friday - I didn't need exact change, but they sure wanted cash - it felt SO New Jersey! - GRIN.

Chuck