Serf

Default Forno Bravo dough problems

Here is the recipe I am using from the Forno Bravo E-books

4 cups Caputo OO flour
1 1/2 C water + 2-3 Tbs
4 teaspoons sea salt
1 packet dry yeast

I am using a baking stone in an oven.

I mix the flour and the water. Wait the 20 minutes for the autolyse process. I add the sea salt and yeast and mix the exact time with my Kitchen Aid mixer.
I let it rise for at least 2 hours. I use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. I am not achieving a chewy, bubbly, or corniche like crust whatsoever. My pizza does not taste bad but it is not characteristic at all of good, chewy pizza crusts. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Longer autolyse period?
Not using a rolling pin?
Not proofing long enough?

Thanks Jason
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Forno Bravo dough problems

I'm not an expert on dough, but skip the rolling pin and see if you like it any better.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Forno Bravo dough problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecrab View Post

mix the exact time with my Kitchen Aid mixer.
Thanks Jason
Hi Jason,
I have not found an exact time for kneading/mixing, doughs are not governed by time (although a set time serves as a good reference point) they are dependent on temperature, moisture content, and gluten content. Using the same flour (Caputo 00) will keep the gluten level consitent, after that you are at the mercy of the dough Gods! If you are kneading in the Kitchen Aid mixer, what size is the mixer? My wife says size... oh another topic.
I have two kitchen aid mixers, one that is the standard size K45 I think and the other Kitchen aid pro. the bowl sizes are different and mixing a small batch in a large bowl does not work well, let alone lend itself to the exact stated time. I find 500g of flour is good for the small mixer, 1000g of flour is good for the larger mixer. When the dough pulls away from the bowl while kneading you are close to being done. I have also found out the hard way that yeast type matters! I was using Instant dry yeast and had GREAT dough/crust. The next batch of yeast was active dry and I did not change how I was making the dough and it was less than stella! I needed to proof the active dry instead of just adding it directly.
I learned a TREMENDOUS amount from this forum and in particular this link:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/...-how-8245.html (Silky, Stretchable Dough - How??????)
Heliman made it possible for me to make an incredible Pizza Dough!
Thanks!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 08-04-2012, 04:29 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Forno Bravo dough problems

I am using roughly the same recipe minus the extra salt. I live in florida so different times of year I experience different dough results. I have always used Active Dry yeast and just recently stopped "blooming" it in a little extra water. I have found that unless you think that your yeast is bad, this is an unneccessary process. I usually form my dough by hand only because I have found that it is easier to determine if it has been kneaded enough and can add flour or water as needed. I have yet to master the mixer method. I usually create a "well" in my flour, and add the water, salt & yeast at the same time. After incorporating/mixing by hand, I usually knead for about 10-15mins. If the dough is hard to knead, I let the gluten relax before continuing the kneading process. Everyone's kitchen temperature & relative humidity is going to be different each month.

I wish that I could give you a foolproof dough recipe but from what I have learned in my own kitchen is that dough & conditions are always changing. find a recipe that you like & taylor it to your own needs & make little adjustments over time based on your kitchen environment.

I have been a restaurant professional for 15+ years and we deal in consistent product otherwise customers wouldn't return. When making pizza dough you will find that different cold fermentation times yield different results, time, temperature, etc are all factors. Be patient. This is a dynamic process. I have a consistent dough recipe, but I always trying to improve upon where I currently am.

Hope this helps!