Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Journeyman

Question dough in individual containers

I've been working with Rienhart's NY style pizza dough lately and having pretty good results. My question lies in the containers. I bought some 5 cup plastic containers with lids and put the dough into them for the final rise. During this process we had a container pop open and knock the other containers over. I went through and burped all the containers, and then did it a second tie a little later when I noticed the lids ready to blow again.

What am I doing wrong? I've never read about it on any thread that I can recall. I do like having the dough in the containers. It would seem that leaving it slightly open would/could create a 'skin'?

I would like to try a longer fermentation, but I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Laborer

Default Re: dough in individual containers

You are not doing anything wrong. The pop is proof positive that the yeast is doing its thing. I am assuming you are using the disposable versions of the containers. The seal on these containers is just not that great. If you want to upgrade, use the food grade containers made by Cambro. I rarely, if ever, see them pop. To be honest, I started with the Cambro containers. Lately, I have not been using them. I have been using the Glad disposable containers. They are more compact to store and they are easier to wash. Hope this helps!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am using food grade trays similar to those used in many pizzarias. I can get six to eight balls per tray. They easily fit in my refrigerator and two or three are plenty for anything I do. I simply start pulling them about two hours before we start pizza and pull another each hour or so and the dough is near peak perfect.

I also use the individual containers but I don't seal them. A small crack won't cause a skin - skins indicate low humidity. That should not be a problem. Oiling the ball also helps prevent skin.

Hang in there!
Jay
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 PM

I use the glad "disposables" (I've had the same set for three years) and when I bought them, i poked a small (eyeglass size) screwdriver through the center of each lid. It's not much, but I've never had one blow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Journeyman

OK, I really like the little hole idea, and I didn't oil the balls prior to plopping them in the containers. 2 more items to remember!

I've been looking for used dough boxes on Craigslist... maybe soon.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

How much yeast are you using? Perhaps try the biga method. The was a recent thread on this topic that may be of interest.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman1 View Post
I've been looking for used dough boxes on Craigslist... maybe soon.
They are not as slick as dough boxes but I bought individual containers from the Dollar Tree - 4 for a dollar.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Master Builder

My Glad container lids have pinholes in them too.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use the plastic ones (no holes, I just burp them every day or so) and was just given the metal ones, I have yet to use them.
Attached Thumbnails
dough in individual containers-021311pizza1.jpg   dough in individual containers-doughpans.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
was just given the metal ones
TS, I'm no expert by any stretch but a chef told me not to proof dough in stainless steel. She said it would tend to "grey" the dough. She mentioned that when I told her I was mixing my dough in my K.A. Anyone have experience with this??

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.